Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First bowl worth signing?

First bowl worth signing?

First worthy bowl 0001.jpgFirst worthy bowl 0005.jpgFirst worthy bowl 0007.jpgFirst worthy bowl 0003.jpgWell I have been lurking for awhile, just got my powermatic 3520B about a month ago. I scored a huge trailer load of Maple, most of it spalted I have been doing the DNA soak thing and have turned a few things to finish wet/frozen. I finished this one this morning. Each one is getting a little better, must be because I dream of curlies I actually signed the bottom.

Blog Entries
    Don't forget the date too. That will allow you to date your progress. As far as the bowl goes, absolutely beautiful.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Pretty bowl. The spalting and the form are very nice!

I try and sign everything that I can (not because I am well-known or ever will be a household name) because it makes it more personal. I also include a card with the type of wood with each item.....
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

4. Pretty wood! Nice form, especially for an early turning in your experience. Thanks for showing it!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Don, looks like you are making some excellent progress! Some nice curves on this piece, and you did a great job of tool control on some maple that looks like it could be a little punky. Very nice character and color, however. By all means sign and date it! Your "early works" will be the most valuable when you become famous!!!!!

Pretty wood and a nice finish! You're a lucky man if you've got a trailer full of stuff that looks like that!

Don - congrats on all your spalted maple - sure can be some beautiful wood! Get in the habit of signing and dating all your work - at the very least you can check back at some time in the future and see how far you've grown! On the very positive side of things - once you become famous as a turner - all those early creations will be worth their weight in gold - or so I like to imagine!

Have fun! Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

"...all those early creations will be worth their weight in gold..."

A good reason to not turn them too thin!
    David DeCristoforo

Don,

GREAT #1. Excellent wood to start, and then a lot of interesting work in the shape, and good finish. Not an easy piece at all. You did not give size but the proportions work for me.

That is a nice #1. Really beautiful wood. Interesting shape and nice finish.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Looking good and yes sign date and #
    Have fun and take care

Nice bowl. Hope the rest of that trailerload is as pretty! You will be busy roughing things out. It can go from beautiful to a little too far gone(or at least difficult to turn) once the weather warms up. Enjoy it!

Great job on that one. I just went back and looked at my first and was encouraged at my progress.

Very nice. Never get tired of looking at spalted wood.

If it's worth turning, it's worth signing and dating.

Great Job on your first bowl, and yes its worth, signing, dating, and what wood type on the bottom. very nice
    Jeff
    "There's is only one way to turn wood....Safely"