Thread: Can I cut picture frames with my incra miter gauge?

Can I cut picture frames with my incra miter gauge?

I recently broke my homemade 45* sled, does anyone have experience cutting picture frames with a miter gauge on a TS? I've got an Incra 3000 miter gauge. I just tried a "5 cut test" and it is 0.03" off over a 13" length (although I suppose it is technically a 65" length) What do you think, should I rebuild the 45* sled or is the miter gauge good enough, or do I need to try and get the miter gauge more accurate?

For me its the sled, then you don't have to worry if you are off .03" because they will still fit together perfect.

I regularly use my Incra 1000 to cut 6 sided structures, two 90 degree corners and four 45 degree corners. This adds up to a total of 12 mitered cuts and I get pretty good results. When I don't , I can always trace it back to some error on may part.

The Incra 3000 is fine adjustable. You can get it effectively perfect. That's how I cut a bunch of frames for Christmas presents a couple of years ago.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Blog Entries
    The Incra should do it, a sled is just easier IHMO.

There is something I am not getting. My Incra 3000 is a sled.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    There is something I am not getting. My Incra 3000 is a sled.
    That must be the older numbers, the 3000 now is the miter gauge and the 5000 is the sled.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    The Incra should do it, a sled is just easier IHMO.
    You are probably right but with 3 toddlers in the house I end up looking for the fastest way to do things in the shop. I know the Incra can be super accurate and it would save me quite a bit of time. Probably I should just slow down and either get a longer setup square to get my miter gauge more accurate or just spend an afternoon making the sled and be done with it.

Thank you Bill. I change my recommendation. I have the 5000 - the miter on a sled with hold downs and very accurate fine adjustments. That's the one that worked so well on the frames. I have not tried it without the sled.

3 toddlers in the house
    Have you thought of putting them in the kennel? :-)

I can laugh now, mine are grown and flown. (And I miss them).

Quote Originally Posted by David Cefai View Post
    Have you thought of putting them in the kennel? :-)

I can laugh now, mine are grown and flown. (And I miss them).
    They would probably love that. Thankfully my boy is 5 now and he loves working in the shop. It is the two girls that are the problem ... and the more I think about it this will probably be the case for many years to come!