Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finally saw an episode of Rough Cut on PBS in the LA area

I haven't seen Tommy's last episode but I have it on DVR. I, too wish his show would go to one hour.

Tommy isn't Norm. Norm is Mr. Everyman on camera and built projects that even the beginning woodworker could build with the video and measured drawings. Tommy has raised the bar quite a bit.

I was a huge fan of the NYW, especially as a beginning, hobbiest woodworker. My skills have progressed over the past years, though, and I find myself wanting to be challenged more in my projects. That's why I'm also a big Tommy Mac fan. I've learned tons just watching his podcasts and expect to learn even more watching his show.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

I am an original fan of his podcast. It took a little bit for me to get used to his "fast talking" and his dialogue, but I did. I can't say I learned any specific techniques from watching him, but more gained the confidence to give it a shot. Instead of the...I could never do that attitude, he helped me realize woodworking is just a bunch of simple steps/techniques that combine to make something.

I will continue to watch any woodworking show...even suffer through the terribly scripted Woodsmith shows. I have seen the new shows of Rough Cut and it is definitely a change from his podcast. The rushed feeling comes from his "fast talking" and editing. When you have a fast talker and then need to constantly cut scene to show the next thing, you will get a rushed show...no way around it. Two things will need to improve for the show to win over a lot of the people who don't care for it. 1 - better editing 2 - his delivery/dialogue.

He is always getting compared to Norm as everyone believes he replaced Norm. In a sense he did...but we have to realize, Norm retired. Norm made some great pieces in his years. Take a look at Tommy's portfolio. Some of his work is absolutely breathtaking. Not saying Norm couldn't do the same, but I feel Tommy is a well rounded craftsman. He uses power and hand tools all the same. Norm was much more of a power tool woodworker.

When I started woodworking, I was a complete power tool woodworker, had no desire in hand tools. Now I am a hybrid woodworker. I still use all my power tools for my work, but do most of my joinery/fitting via hand tools, and almost all of my finish prep by hand tools. My work has drastically improved as I better understand how to use hand tools. My style of work has evolved into one that is almost identical to Tommy's. He appeals to both power tool and hand tool users.

Hopefully his producers will listen to what the audience is saying and start making the adjustments for next season.

As a side note...I met Tommy at WIA and we talked for close to 45 minutes. Quite a few people gathered around and all talked woodworking and a little baseball. I truly believe he is genuine in wanting to show people that anyone can do woodworking. This is the same message he is trying to convey in his show.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Rudolph View Post
    I will continue to watch any woodworking show...even suffer through the terribly scripted Woodsmith shows.
    That's true. We shouldn't forget that there is a show much, much worse than Rough Cut

That said, I can endure even the cringe-inducing awkwardness on Woodsmith Shop because the show is so relaxed. At the end of the day, I don't want to sit down to watch a show that's so fast-paced that it raises my blood pressure!

Whenever this topic comes up -- and I think it's a good one -- I mention a few things:

• We don't get it in Colorado, so ... I'm jealous
    • I met Tommy and Eli, and spent an afternoon with them, in their shop, back in June. I think they're GREAT guys, and trained, talented woodworkers
    • I think ANY woodworking show that's even HALF decent -- over time -- benefits all of us, so I root for their success !
    • I've corresponded with Tommy, and can tell you that they SEEK constructive feedback. To the extent that any of you are willing to take the time, there's a site feedback link/forum on his website. They WOULD like to know how to do it better !

No. He's no Norm. When I say that, though, it's neither good nor bad. One thing that Tommy MIGHT do, though, is get the NEXT generation of woodworkers inspired. Remember: WE aren't the Red Bull, iPhone, and Monster Drink generation.

He may really connect with them ... maybe even in a way that -- today -- Norm wouldn't.

Again: I hope so -- both for our sake, as woodworkers, AND for their sake, as the guys who got the show !

Anybody got any pull with Colorado's station ??? I'd like to see an episode, before I die

The comparison that's more interesting to me is with David Marks. His delivery was painful (made the Woodsmith guys look good), but his work is so amazing that it was still really interesting and inspiring. I kind of disagree with the idea that Rough Cut is geared more towards the experienced woodworker, because the projects themselves, while very nice, are not particularly complex or using advanced techniques. Yeah, he can skip showing me how to cut a miter, but in place of that I'd like to see a different technique or a design I would have never considered. I think that NYW and Woodsmith are actually interesting even with the repetition of some knowledge, because they show you another craftsman's whole workflow and might show you a different way to trim a miter or something that might change the order in which you do your work. That kind of subtlety is very helpful to me. If anyone has watched any of Marc Adam's videos you'll see what I mean. Talk about fast moving! But he highlights each critical bit and explains why he does it that way. I eat that up!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Winterowd View Post
    The comparison that's more interesting to me is with David Marks. His delivery was painful (made the Woodsmith guys look good), but his work is so amazing that it was still really interesting and inspiring. I kind of disagree with the idea that Rough Cut is geared more towards the experienced woodworker, because the projects themselves, while very nice, are not particularly complex or using advanced techniques. Yeah, he can skip showing me how to cut a miter, but in place of that I'd like to see a different technique or a design I would have never considered. I think that NYW and Woodsmith are actually interesting even with the repetition of some knowledge, because they show you another craftsman's whole workflow and might show you a different way to trim a miter or something that might change the order in which you do your work. That kind of subtlety is very helpful to me. If anyone has watched any of Marc Adam's videos you'll see what I mean. Talk about fast moving! But he highlights each critical bit and explains why he does it that way. I eat that up!
    Very good points all around. I easily overlooked Marks' delivery all because his projects were so motivating to me.

I also agree that Rough Cut is not geared towards experienced woodworkers. One of Tommy's beginners projects is the Shaker inspired step stool. I had a family relative down to the shop the week after Christmas. He has never even cut a piece of wood in his life. He built his own step stool all on his own. The only thing I did was use the table saw for ripping to width. He did all of the jointing, planing, cutting to length, removing mill marks with the hand plane, hand cut dovetails, and finishing himself. It wasn't perfect...he also didn't expect it to be. But for a first project with a lot of first for him...he did a darn good job.

I think it will just take time for the show to evolve and for him to grow on everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bickley View Post
    I have seen 2 or 3 episodes and I have not been impressed. I will continue to watch when I get a chance because it is woodworking, but he is no "Norm".........
    If you are comparing them as TV hosts then I agree. Norm was a significantly better host after years of doing TV than T Mac is now after 10 or so shows. If you are comparing them as furniture makes I disagree Norm will unlikely ever be 1/2 the furniture maker Tommy Mac is now. Tommy has a portfolio of furniture that is full of pieces most woodworkers would think of each as their "Everest". Just take a look at his Bombe chests, Newport high boys etc etc. Tommy is a craftsman I will watch even if I have to sort through his dialect and tivo his rapid fire delivery because there is no question his skills are incredible.

I also agree that the show should be 1 hour and/or get rid of the road trip.

I've tried watching three different episodes, and can't make it past 15 minutes. As stated on another forum, that guy talks faster than I can listen. I get to the point that if I hear him say "guys" one more time,.......then I hit the channel down button. No more TV woodworking for me because I loose my interest in hearing Tim Yoder do his silly giggle. Hey, don't make it entertainment, just make it WOODWORKING! One smart guy, sharing his experiences, making good off site shop tours, it shouldn't be that tough!

Blog Entries
    Houston's PBS channel has 5 hours of Rough Cut scheduled on Jan 29, 2011 to air consecutively starting at 1 PM on chanel 8-2.

I can hardly wait!

Can you believe it?

The Create Channel, which is a cable channel here on my Colorado Comcast service (but a "network" I believe to be a national thing), is airing Rough Cut in a marathon on January 29th. It looks like ALL of the episodes to date will be aired. The sequence repeats and runs twice from what I see looking at the guide.

Neil.... They've started running it on KRMA, one of Denver's PBS channels. There's an episode today at 9am and another Friday at 9am.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    The Create Channel, which is a cable channel here on my Colorado Comcast service (but a "network" I believe to be a national thing), is airing Rough Cut in a marathon on January 29th. It looks like ALL of the episodes to date will be aired. The sequence repeats and runs twice from what I see looking at the guide.

Neil.... They've started running it on KRMA, one of Denver's PBS channels. There's an episode today at 9am and another Friday at 9am.
    I believe Create is a Public Broadcasting sub-channel. Rough Cut airs on the primary PBS channel in some areas and Create in others. The problem with create is that it usually is broadcast over the air on a digital subchannel many cable and sat providers only air the primary PBS channel and not the sub-channels (which you can get over the air with an antenna). Locally RC airs on the primary channel but all the other WWing shows are on the sub-channels. This is one reason I suspect a lot of people have not been able to find RC.

I have AT&T U-Verse here in the SF Bay Area and FINALLY I see a scheduled broadcast on Jan. 29. I'm looking forward to checking it out. Heck, even HGTV doesn't broadcast David Marks any more...loved that guy.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Personally, I'm a little surprised at the comparisons to Norm. Personalities aside, it's like comparing Grant Wood to Don Ross. I'm pretty sure that none of Norm's pieces are sitting in period furniture museums at this point.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Norm, but take his work for what it is; A carpenter's approach to furniture making. This approach is commendable and to be celebrated as it has undoubtedly inspired many many people to take up the craft. Norm was ground-breaking in that his show was very digestible, and I'm positive that he has many skills beyond those displayed which were never employed publicly for the sake of keeping the show consistent.

Tommy, on the other hand, gives us a glimpse into what they teach woodworkers at one of the most prestigious woodworking schools in the country. This is particularly true in his case in that a work-related accident forced him to find a new career in the early 2000's so he was pretty much a newbie when he started at NBSS. Point being, that what you're getting with Tommy is probably very close to what they teach at the school. That alone is worth the price of admission (at least to me). Tommy is the first "celebrity woodworker" that really gives clues as to what it means to be "classically trained".

I do agree that the show does need to be an hour. I prefer his podcasts (what few there are), as they are much more detailed and relaxed. It's definitely not designed for those of us who are more interested in building shops, than building furniture, and I could certainly see where his personality could be a show-stopper.

All that being said, I know I'll keep watching.

What is the name of his podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett Ellis View Post
    What is the name of his podcast?
    Sorry, absent minded reference on my part. I think he used to call his video projects podcasts. I was referring to the videos on this page:

http://www.thomasjmacdonald.com/cont...o/howt/videos/