Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is the Ridgid jointer worth $288

Yes it is. Mine performs perfectly. I paid about 3 or so for mine and I'd buy it again.
    I could cry for the time I've wasted, but thats a waste of time and tears.

Considering where you live have you looked for a used 8"? I paid less than the rigid for my PM60 with a 1.5, 1ph baldor motor, in nice shape. Check out some auctions, watch the list, get what you want...

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus Brewster 7 View Post
    I am in desperate need for one but was waiting to save for an 8".

Thanks for any information.

The Rigid is a fine jointer for the money, but the last part of the quote is telling. I will bet you you will want an 8" jointer in no time and should factor that in to your choice. You may want to take a look at the wood you actual plan to buy and see how much of it is going to bewider then the capacity of the Rigid.

anyone figure out how to modify the blade guard so that stock <3/4" doesn't slide right under it? other than that i love it

Frank:

Once the push pads get there, the blade guard clears a path quite nicely

I guess ... if you wanted to ... you could JB Weld a flange on the front that came within a few thou' of the knives, but ... because I'm always going to use my push pads ... it hasn't graduated from "minor annoyance" for me, yet

I have one. It's durable and reliable. I highly recommend it at under $300.

There are tricks and handplanes for jointing wider stock.

I do think a wider jointer is nice-to-have. But truth be told, I've needed to face joint 9" and larger stock more times than stuff in between 6" and 8", so an 8" jointer for me offers only marginal improvement over what I have now.

I have one and paid much more than that. It's a terrific machine with great dust collection, too!

i have a gray model that cost $150 5 years ago @ HD. sign stated "missing parts". it was only missing the yellow power switch insert. got 2 free from ridgid CS. @ $288, it's a great deal. buy new and it qualifies for registration in the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement program offerred by ridgid. this model was also rated as a top value when wood magazine tested 6 1/8" jointers in march, 09. the jet 6 1/8" jointer had several things going against it. and combo machines, IMHO, have a tendency to do 2 things half as well as they should. get the ridgid. you won't regret it.

288$ was a good deal, until I stumbled upon the HD's in my area offering them up at 94.03. This is in Northern New Jersey, the Clifton store had 2 after my visit, one of them has a a pretty big fork lift hole on the side of the box, so there really may only be one now...

BTW, the box can slide into a new Jetta trunk - sticking out the back - the box is heavy as can be, so bring a friend (and something bigger than a Jetta!).

Good luck out there,

-Tim

I already bought it. Had I known this I would have taken the drive. Thanks.