Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to clean a wane (live) edge?

Question How to clean a wane (live) edge?

I'm working on a maple slab that will become a coffee table top. Both edges are live. After I pick the bark off, what's the best way to clean off the remaining inner bark, dirt, spalt, etc? I'm thinking of using my Dremel tool with a nylon brush attachment, but I expect that to be a slow process. Would a brass brush attachment work better/faster, or would it mar the wood?

POWER WASHER. That would remove anything that will be coming loose later. Let it dry for a couple weeks and you will be ready to go

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    POWER WASHER. That would remove anything that will be coming loose later. Let it dry for a couple weeks and you will be ready to go
    +1 on the power washer. it will remove anything that may come loose in the future.

You would be better served with the soft wire wheel. I use a drill and go with the grain and it comes out real nice.

power washer

I'd probably go the low-tech route, a bristle scrub brush (not wire).

Lead time

If you hade a few weeks between cleaning and starting in on the project I would consider the power washer.

I have always reached for the brass wire brush/wheel and a dental pick. Even on softer cherry the brush leaves a nice non-marred but clean surface.

Where the waned edge is damaged I go at it with gouges to apply a texture that "blends in" the edge.

Below are two cherry waned edge tables, one a sofa table the other and occasional table to match. The keys are imbuya.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nothing qualifies advice like physical proof. Those are great looking tables, Chris. It's obvious you know what you are talking about.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Thanks Cody. Mother Nature did all the heavy lifting and I just tried to stay out of the way!

I generally use a draw knife; it takes off bark and inner bark; then sand with flap sander, then with soft pad sander. I am on a trip so don't have the ability to post pictures.

Attachment1.jpgI also use a draw knife followed by a micro-plane followed by hand sanding.Attachment3.jpg

+1 on the flap sander. I have two variations on this, one is the wheel with the flaps of sandpaper coming straight out and being supported by little brushes. The other is just a whole lot of little bits of sandpaper mounted on a mandrel. I think I got both of them from Klingspor. I use them in a handheld drill if the piece is large, or on the drill press if it's easier to hold the workpiece. Seems to work well, and leaves a nice burnished surface.

Ken

Power washing was out because I couldn't wait for the slab to dry. I didn't want to use a drawknife because I wanted to preserve the texture of the live edge. I ended up using a Nyalox nylon wheel brush impregnated with fine abrasive. It was less aggressive than a wire wheel but still removed most of the bark without damaging the underlying wood.

I used a wire wheel chucked in a drill for a redwood slab and it worked fine. I used a dental pick for some of the more stubborn areas.

We use the brass wire brush wheel w/ the grain. On a lot of pieces we can save the bark. We also use a nyalox brush wheel and flap sanders. Easy does it, and use what you need for the desired effects.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Levitski; 03-23-2011 at 8:21 AM.