Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HF coupons at HD?

HF coupons at HD?

Could someone explain this to me? I hear a lot about these compound deals. This discount and this coupon, minus this percentage and someone walks out the door with a $3 table saw.

I've used them 3 times successfully. Only on tools, which is what the would supposedly compete on. I just tell the cashier I have a competitor coupon. Once there was no question, they just did the adjustment. Twice I've had to wait for management to decide what to do.

That said, its not a universal thing and appears to be at the store management's discretion. Some take them, some don't. All you can do is try.

This varies completely by store and even by personnel. My local HD will take them pretty consistently. I take them to the lumber checkout, and the checkers will usually accept them on the spot. However, if a manager gets asked, they often will refuse them. My closest Lowe's absolutely will not take them, but I've gotten the next Lowe's 5 miles up the road to take them. Like Matt said, give it a shot.

Lee

Please tell me whether I am reading this correctly. I can take a Harbor Freight 20% coupon to a Home Depot, and they might honor it?

Do you guys that have luck with HD taking the coupon actually have a HF close by? Closest HF for me is 100 miles. I cant get the HD's here to wheel and deal on clearance displays, i dont hold much hope for HF coupons.

I used a 20% off coupon last month on their 15". Drill press and got it for $210 out the door

Jonathan.... Yes, Home Depot and Lowe's will take competitors' coupons. All my local Borgs do, anyway. Harbor Freight, Ace Hardware, Lowe's coupons at Home Depot, Home Depot coupons at Lowe's. I've never had a coupon refused (to date).

I use to work for home depot and yes they will take a competitors coupon they somtimes have a manager ok it first, but the lowes 10% that you get at the post office every cashier will take. Just try and tell them the lowes down the street said they will take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Spool View Post
    Please tell me whether I am reading this correctly. I can take a Harbor Freight 20% coupon to a Home Depot, and they might honor it?
    Correct. I've used HF coupons for the R4511 TS when it went on sale, the bandsaw when it went on clearance, a shop vac, and maybe some other smaller things.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W Johnson View Post
    Do you guys that have luck with HD taking the coupon actually have a HF close by? Closest HF for me is 100 miles. I cant get the HD's here to wheel and deal on clearance displays, i dont hold much hope for HF coupons.
    I do have a HF in the area, about 20 miles away in another suburb.

10. HF coupon

I had never tried the HF coupon at HD until yesterday (I actually read about it here in the forum). I purchased BOTH Ridgid and PC routers. I asked the cashier if they honored competitor coupons, she asked a manager, the manager said 'yes' without hesitation. I got both routers for $199. I actually used the coupon out of their copy of "Wood" magazine I grabbed from rack.

Quote Originally Posted by anthony arguello View Post
    I had never tried the HF coupon at HD until yesterday (I actually read about it here in the forum). I purchased BOTH Ridgid and PC routers. I asked the cashier if they honored competitor coupons, she asked a manager, the manager said 'yes' without hesitation. I got both routers for $199. I actually used the coupon out of their copy of "Wood" magazine I grabbed from rack.
    Do you have a HF close by?

Anyone have any luck with HF coupons that DOESNT have a HF close by?

13. Quote Originally Posted by Kevin W Johnson View Post
    Do you have a HF close by?
    Kevin, I do have HF about 30 minutes away.
    The manager was not hesitant at all about accepting the coupon. She told her cashier to put it under "competitors adjustment" or something to that effect.

Kevin, I'd say its not a matter of whether someone else has has luck but rather whether a store in your area will agree to take them. I know of one pair of Lowes and Home Depot that are both within about 2 miles of a HF that won't take them. And I've used one at a Lowes 30mi from the nearest HF.

Same as all the deals on clearance merchandise over the years. It basically seems to be at local management's discretion.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 01-17-2011 at 8:56 AM.

Lets open this thread up again. Can you use the 20% coupon and the 10% they give you for opening up a credit card at the same time?
    Measure twice and cut once and swear three times