Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Last Knight – a Curly Blue Hollow Form

Last Knight – a Curly Blue Hollow Form

I developed this piece along a duel theme of Knights and nights. While the actual turning took very little time – the finishing took me weeks! Something about the wet poly made the piece act like a dust magnet! No matter what I did – the problem continued to get worse. Finally after about 12 coats of poly – I sanded everything off and started again! About 10 days later and at least another dozen coats of poly – I sanded everything off again! OK… this is the LAST time!

Got to thinking about it and wondered if the poly I had was taking too long to dry and that allowed for more time for dust to settle. Went to Menards and picked up a fresh can of poly and it made a huge difference in dry time! Lesson learned! I also placed the turning in my photo tent to cut down on floating dust!

Curly Maple (from John Keeton), African Ebony finial, dyed with RIT Royal Blue clothing dye, sanded to 1200 grit and at least a dozen coats of Minwax gloss wipe-on poly! Will wait for a week or longer before lightly buffing and applying a coat of Renaissance wax.

Last Knight v1.JPG Last Knight v2.JPG Last Knight v3.JPG Last Knight v4.JPG Last Knight v5.JPG Last Knight v6.JPG Last Knight v7.jpg

As always – comments, opinions and critiques are welcome!

Thanks for looking!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I can't think of a word that accurately describes this piece.... BEAUTIFUL thats the best I can do.

Steve, your hollow forms are always so well done. This one is no exception. The color and very original treatment on the finial are simply icing on the cake!
    David DeCristoforo

The dye job is nice. I'm sure that the curl really shines in person. I like the new designed finial. It has a nice simplistic flow. The only critique might be to hone this finial shape a bit and maybe define the very tip of the finial with a more pronounced transition. Very nice as usual.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

It may have been a lot of work, but you certainly produced a beautiful piece.
    Within 13K miles of everybody.

Beautiful wood and the form is perfect.

PS... My recent blue dyed piece created quite a stir. But it was purely serendipitous and the result could be attributed to pure dumb luck. This is way closer to the outcome I had envisioned when I slapped that dye on!
    David DeCristoforo

It's hard to "critique" your work, for the most part, your lines/form and finish are almost always spot on.
    I'm not a huge fan of color, most of the time, and in this case, I think I hear and see what you're trying to do, but I think the fantastic curl is TOO lost in the dye. I would have liked to see the curl be more prominent (I have to say, it might be, and the pictures just don't show it).
    The finial is great too.
    Change One Thing

Looks really great Steve, form looks great and I really like your finial on this one.

Steve, I am very pleased with the final product!! The "in progress" pics were great, but the finish really brought out the best in the curly maple and the dye work - well done! The title of this piece is carried into the lance shaped finial quite well, and the overall feel of the piece is just superb. Makes me want to dig into a piece of that maple! It has a lot of different "faces" from the various views you offer.

Very nice. The finish provides a nice depth. Well done.

12. Steve,

Well you executed a very well conceived, and elegant hollow form. The shape of the form is as another stated "spot on," and your finial is elegant with simple embellishments replicating the knights lance. A very unique one, but well done......I think your entire finial is right for this piece, not just a form adapted from others.......it truly fits your "Knights" theme. Great curl in the wood.

I also like the size of your opening........any larger and the base of the finial would need to have been bigger, which would have taken away from the "lance" form on it.

How many coats of blue dye? How much do you estimate you sanded the color back? You also gave us all a lesson about "old" WOP, and I think I had better pic up a new can myself for my anticipated arrival of my Monster rig.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

very nice.....

Really well executed piece Steve. Form and finial are really excellent. What I'm having trouble with is seeing any of the curl. Is it the pics? Is it me? Better in person?
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Steve: you are a true master of the hollowform. they are always a delight to look at and to be inspired by. I have enjoyed everyone that you have posted