Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust collection

Dust collection

I just bought a thickness planer and realised that I need a dust collector to use it properly. It's not in the budget and so really want to get one at a reasonable price. Is there a CFM minimum that I should consider? Any brand better than another? My local CL has a Jet 3/4hp dust collector. 650 cfm, 120v 4" Dia. hose listed for $125 obo. This sounds small, but maybe it is ok??? Any thoughts or advice?

How much DC you need depends on the size of the planer. I'm guessing that this is a 12" lunchbox, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    How much DC you need depends on the size of the planer. I'm guessing that this is a 12" lunchbox, right?
    Yes. It is a Dewalt 733.

Harbor Freight has a 2HP collector that can be had on-sale (with 20% off coupon?) for $139. A very good deal.

IME planers are a little more forgiving than other machines when it comes to dust collection. They usually direct chips towards a chute, instead of requiring you to catch everything with good suction. I ran my 20" J/P for a long time with nothing but a 1 HP Delta. Of course, I had to use the bare minimum of hose, but it never clogged up unless I was taking really deep cuts in 15"+ boards at a high feed rate. That little 3/4 machine should be able to keep the chips flawing away from your cutter.

When I had a lunchbox planer, I had a 1 1/2 hp bag-type collector from Delta. It would suck up all the shavings from the planer, so something like it should do for you. Sometimes planer manufacturers will suggest a cfm rating for an appropriate DC. (IRRC, the Delta was rated at 600 cfm, so I'm a little skeptical of that Jet 3/4 hp collector being rated at 650 cfm. Oh well, cfm ratings seem to be a little ficticious anyhow.)

the planer and the jointer when face jointing definitely need good dust collection - i learned this the hard way when the hose accidentally fell off!

Unless you like the idea of dumping the DC bag about every ten seconds, you might want to use an intermediary big chip collector between the planer and the DC. I use a metal garbage can with a vortex-type top. Most of the sizeable chips get caught in the can with only the dust particles going on to the DC bag. Dump the garbage can when it's about 1/2 full or the DC will start to suck the big particles out of it into its bag.

Thanks for all your good input.

the HF unit may be a little noisy, but it is definately superior to the jet you mentioned. check out this site for info on separators that will really help maximize the effectiveness of your DC:

http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm

Thanks. I will check it out.

minimum spend I could recommend would be to get the $100 1 HP HF blower (the red one) plus a $35 garbage can lid for separation... when I got the DW735, I couldn't use it until I got the separator because my mini dust collector would get clogged right away. once I put a Thien baffle in front of it, worked fine... I just upgraded recently to the 2 HP HF collector, and now it works even better... but the 1 HP model is cheaper and much smaller if space is an issue.

To answer the OP question directly, YES, a 650CFM dust collector will easily handle anything a 12" lunchbox planer can throw at it.

Blog Entries
    Will the 2 hp HF require a 220 volt circuit? I presume so. Could be a deal breaker, depending.

I use a 1 hp Penn State 2 bagger for my Delta 580, If I let the bag fill up, I can clog the hose, otherwise has worked well for me for years.

I am going to try to get to HF this week to check it out--got the 20% off coupon from the paper this week too and that will help.