Thread: Woodworkers Depot in Green Bay, WI?

Woodworkers Depot in Green Bay, WI?

Has anyone here ever dealt with these folks? They seem to be the only ones within a reasonable distance that cary an item I want to buy. I'm about three hours from them, but I've never been down to their store.

Anyone have any experience good or bad?

Thanks,

Archie

Archie

I live about an hour North of Green Bay and I've been to and dealt with Wood Workers Depot. They're a little high priced on some items and o.k. on others. Some of their staff is pretty knowledgeable.

What item are you looking to buy?

There is a Woodcraft store about 30 minutes south in Appleton.

Jerry
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Bought from them about a year ago and their inventory was about 1/2 what it was a year earlier. Hope they are still in business because I had a good experience with them - helpful and knowledgeable staff.

See you are in God's country Archie - where?

I lived by Green Bay about six years ago. Woodworkers Depot wasn't far from my place of employment so I'd occasionally stop by to poke around during lunch. I did buy a few things from them such as a table saw, dust collector, and various clamps and small tools.

It seemed to me that they had some part time help that either wasn't very knowledgeable, or not very interested in helping. On occasion, I did find that employee who really knew his stuff, and liked to share.

I also had them repair my table saw once, and they did a great job.

So, some ok experiences and some good. Overall I miss the place. I wish we had something like that on the other side of the state.

I have bought many item from Woodworkers Depot and have not had a bad experience. I think they are experiencing the down turn in the economy and also the market may be getting saturated with tools/machinery. About five years ago they had three time the inventory that they do now, but since then more places are selling woodworking equipment plus internet sales. Have not had a problem getting parts or service when I need it.

Thanks for the input folks.

Jerrod and Vilas, I'm pleased to report that the fellow I spoke with on the phone was pretty knowledgeable and seemed to really want to help me with my purchase.

Jerry, I want to upgrade my TS fence. I wasn't aware of the Woodcraft in Appleton. I'll have to check it out next time I'm down that way - never been in a WC store before.

Robert, I'm over by the Laughing Whitefish Falls (in Sundell) about half way between Skandia and Chatham. You may remember me - I bought your chisel mortiser last year and you were kind enough to give me a shop tour and show me some of the beautiful work you've done in your house.

Archie

I moved to Green Bay about 5 years ago and was glad to see the Woodworkers Depot in town. Their inventory and store size has shrunk over the years. About 1/2 of their space went to the Habitat For Humanity "ReStore" next door.

Their staff does know what they're talking about and their prices are high for the equipment. Their low end casters are priced ok.

I browse through there about once a month or so as well as the ReStore next door.

Good Luck
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Archie Hendrick View Post
    Has anyone here ever dealt with these folks? They seem to be the only ones within a reasonable distance that cary an item I want to buy. I'm about three hours from them, but I've never been down to their store.

Anyone have any experience good or bad?

Thanks,

Archie
    Archie,
    you have another store behind menards called Bay Verte Or DR Tool, they have a much larger selection of equipment and mostly in stock, they do road service and have several tech's in house for wood, metal, gas,or pretty much anything you could possible need.
    the guy's there know there products they are selling or can help you get the info you need.

Larry

Hi Archie,

I have dealt with them for the past 12 years. The first 10 years was great. I have ordered blades for my planer and they have even shipped them to me.

Since the store shrunk, they seem too busy to help me even when I ask for help. I stopped going there. If they are unwilling to talk to me, I am unwilling to give them my money. I don't even feel comfortable going there to look around.

I do some business with the Power Tool Store (Bay Verte Machine) which is just a few blocks away and a lot of business with Woodcraft in Appleton.

I agree their prices are high, but it is nice to be able to actually see the goods before you buy them.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author