Thread: Shop Logs/Journals

Shop Logs/Journals

I didn't find much in a search for this.

I'm wondering how many of you keep a shop log or journal of your activities. If so, what exactly do you record?

Often times I see people with projects and they say it took XX hours to build. People always ask me how long it took me to build stuff, but I have no idea, usually I just refer to my time spent on projects in months. I'd like to actually be able to say it took me 20 hours, for example.

I'm thinking about starting a log of hours spent in the shop so that I can actually see how long it took me to complete projects. Any suggestions?

Hi Kyle, I have been thinking about the same thing for a while now.

Being a hobbiest, I dont make much, but sometimes after a piece I think oh that should have been a little higher/shorter/longer. My biggest concern is if I make something similar in a couple of years, how can I ensure I dont make the same mistakes.

For a while I thought about keeping a simple scrap book, just glue in a couple of pictures and jot down some notes, but I never got around to it.

What I have done recently is I started a basic blog. Most projects I start off with a few screen shots of some sketchup drawings, I update with progress shots and finish the project with my comments. It also helps me tally the hours taken for a project.

So far I am happy with the way it helps me gather my thoughts and refine/review my plans and processes. The occasional feedback helps too

So my recommendation would be to start a blog, perhaps even on this forum.
    Joe Zerafa
    Attached Images Attached Images

I bought a note book with graph paper to make sketches of the project and have another notebook where I "try" to keep notes. I also made some cut lists so I can list all of the pieces. I'm not that good at taking notes everyday and tend to forget.

I then can tear them all out and put them in a folder for reference. I still working on how to organize the folder.

I do want a separate notebook with the mistakes I made and things that could be done better.

I just keep every scrap of paper concerning a project. Material lists, sketches, etc. Keep them in file folders.
    Not a log but useful to reproduce a project.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Perhaps I go overboard, but I would like to think that many years from now my kids will enjoy viewing my project binder. For every project I build, I make a powerpoint presentation on archival cardstock and that includes pictures and text that explain things like wood type, finish I used, source for plans and ideas, lessons learned, etc. I put the presentation pages into transparent sheet holders that allow placement in a big binder that is entitled "My Works". The pages are protected, and I hope will be handed down long after I'm gone, because most of the projects will still be in the hands of my daughters.

Blog Entries
    Since I make a dimensioned drawing for most projects I make, I try to update any dimensions I change. Yet, sometimes I forget. I do wish I had kept a log of the finishes I used on various items so that I could more easily duplicate the finish on future companion pieces or do repairs.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I tend to operate in the conceptual mode more than the building mode, and will spend weeks or months planning a project, and coming up with different designs. I tend to average 10 or more different designs before I settle on one, and then I come up with full drawings of each part, not necessarily to scale, but at least to show all dimensions. All of that info goes into my binders, which I keep up in the office. Now what I'm bad about is not updating the drawings if I have to make a change. However, typically I've put together so many drawings, that anything I change will be very minimal.

Like Lee, though, I wish I put more effort into cataloging what finishes I use, but like I said, anything that happens post building start rarely gets recorded

Kyle,

For me anyway, one of the reasons I participate in forums and blogging so much is to get the ideas, and info on my shop activities out of my head and in writing...

Now I also keep a small notebook in my mechanics toolbox that I jot notes about measurement, and other various stupidity that needs to be put down NOW or it will fall out of my ears... There are a lot of scribbled sketches that are just slashed through when I figure out I don't like the direction it is going, and a few good ones too!
    Trying to follow the example of the master...