Thread: Cleaning / Polishing Granite tool tops?

Cleaning / Polishing Granite tool tops?

I recently purchased and set up a Craftsman 22116 tablesaw with a granite top. I love the saw, it is a huge step up from the portable craftsman that I was using.

The 2 extension wings that came with the saw seem to have a haze on them making them look dull or dirty compared to the main table, my question for those of you with granite top tools is how do you care for or polish the top. What is safe to use for them?

Congrats on your new toy! I went from a delta table top to a Rigid R4511 Granite Top, nearly the same saw you got, both are made by Orion I think it is? They are the same makers of the Steel City granite tops.

Anyway, the granite has a sealant on it, and you need to not use products that will eat away the sealer. Awesome Orange is not a good idea DAMHIKT!!! I have had good luck with Simple Green for cleaning. You can buy granite countertop cleaner/polish that will work fine. For polishing, I use Johnson's paste wax, just like many use for steel/iron tops.

A word of advice, be careful with your miter slots, the corners chip fairly easily, I've had one small chip in the last year, and I've been SUPER careful not to have it happen again!

Another R4511 owner here. I haven't cleaned it with anything other than a damp rag. Like Dave, I do wax the top with paste wax. The discoloration you are seeing may just be natural differences in the coloring of the stone.

Regarding the miter slots, if you are using the factory miter gauge, take the washers off that are meant to hold the gauge into the slot.

Lee

Thanks for the responses. I used some paste wax on the top today, it took a bit of the haze out of the extension tables. I appreciate the tips about the miter gauge - I will take the tab off the end and be careful with it.

Enjoy your saw, and don't listen to all the granite haters out there . I love my granite - topped saw.

Blog Entries
    Get this stuff: http://www.amazon.com/DuPont-StoneTe...=pd_sim_hpc_10

I use it on my kitchen countertops and it's great for revitalizing the finish on the stone.