Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad, no matter how you look at it!

Sorry for the waste of walnut but it did draw some of the most light hearted comments I've yet read on this forum. The Darth Vader thing from Leo began a chain of good humor that hopefully made the whole thing very entertaining. As a marketer, my comment is you could have sold it as a convertible 5 in 1 turning.
    faust

You could always slice the bell part in half and make a set of bookends...at least get a little use out of it

+1 on the first pic without the lid.
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

Blog Entries
    If the trash has not gone out, you could send it to me and I would put some LED's in it and make it into a desk lamp... I thought it looked nice in pic 1. but also like it as a lamp.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

you forgot one pic. the goblet without the finial. some days are diamonds, some days are coal. :-0

What can I say? If you can't laugh at yourself you'll never know what everyone else is laughing at!

Curt, i have this bowl with found object in show at Piedmont Arts, i lost the tendon, put new tendon on it but could not turn out my depth hole because it was too thin on bottom after making new tendon, it bounced around and i had to turn out the dents, the bark came off, i had wanted to do natural edge, i stuck a object i found at the beach, it fit, no measurement

titled it Scream
    Attached Images Attached Images

What a great thread! Darth Vader indeed ....

Curt, I like it. I think the lid makes it look a bit off, but I still think I would love it on my display shelf...even under your name.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

That's a real kick in the pants. My wife just busted up checking this one out.

I must just suck at turning. They look good to me. Well, except for the lampshade. I keep my fails on my desk at work though. That way I'll never do it again. But, I still manage to make funnels.

What about using the "lampshade" as a mushroom top with a different turned "stem" (Osage or yellowheart for contrast?) for some garden art? Maybe use the "lampshade" and cut out a semi-circle or arch with a coping saw to use as a toad house in the garden?

Hmmmmm.......I may have found a new project to practice some hollowing on...........

Re-cycle if possible, walnut is just too cool to toss.

Glenn

Well I for one have never thrown I piece in the garbage, I've thrown more than my share in the smoker with some chicken, ribs or a butt. I don't feel quite so bad about it if I can get something out of it. I thought the first pic looked pretty good, maybe tweak the finial a little but not the garbage. At least save it and have something to make a comparison with in a year or two, or slice it in half and see how consistent your wall thickness is. Just another opinion.
    Never go to bed angry, stay up and fight. Its much more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    What can I say? If you can't laugh at yourself you'll never know what everyone else is laughing at!
    I like that....goes with rule # 62: Never take yourself too seriously!

Your last picture reminds me of a very elegant lamp. If it just provided a little light, I know I'd be happy to receive it.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey