Thread: Article: How to Build the Magnetic Marble Roll

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Article: How to Build the Magnetic Marble Roll

This is GREAT. I was thinking of tossing some things like this together for my wife. She's a psychologist who works with kids, and she's always looking for these kinds of activities to help some of kids with concentration, and things like that. I love the PVC!

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    This is GREAT. I was thinking of tossing some things like this together for my wife. She's a psychologist who works with kids, and she's always looking for these kinds of activities to help some of kids with concentration, and things like that. I love the PVC!
    John,
    Part of the way I got interested in building stuff for kids was that my wife was and occupational theripist who worked with kids. She was always needing something designed for a specific kid/need. Here is a busy box I built. I actually built two versions of this and one is still in use after 25

bsybx.jpgyears.

4. Always looking for something to fun and useful to make for the grandchildren. This looks like a sure winner. Thanks Jack.

My grandchildren are a little too young yet, but it will be a great project for them to help with in a couple of years. Thanks for sharing

This is great! My family was just at the San Francisco Exploratorium and they had an area with a similar setup - except using pegboard. My nephews (8 &12) were there for 1.5 hours, and had a blast. Judging from the # of people around, it was a real hit. What was really fun was seeing kids working together and really putting their brains to work. I will try to find a photo. I really dig this version as it looks a bit easier for kids to adjust and tweak than the pegboard version (which was also darn cool).
    Last edited by David Gaab; 01-20-2011 at 12:41 PM.

Nice toy!!

Easy to make and it sure is a blast even for adults.

Boston's Children museum has a whole wall with similar setup. Unfortunately no pictures of it on they website: http://www.bostonchildrensmuseum.org. It uses golf balls if I recall correct.

forget kids, id build one of these for myself!

I think this is a super awesome idea and build. Thank you.

I'm a little late here but how's this... a colored paddle wheel mounted on bearings that the ball sets into motion. I can see wild Rube Goldberg setups with levers and triggers.