Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 15" or 20" Planer

Thanks all for your thoughts.

I have been using a lunch box planer, and while it does a nice job, it is loud and needs to that knives replaced due to a nick. I just spent two years working at custom cabinet shop where we had a 12" top of the line Grizzly jointer that was oh so smooth, and a 20" top of the line Grizzly planer, both with HH. I got really spoiled. Also had the 36" wide belt sander, so have been hesistant to get the drum sander as I am so spoiled.

At this point, I think the 15" HH is the right way for me to go. I have been somewhat looking for a used drum sander and may have found one, a 16-32 Performax. Need to just make the call and get the planer ordered. Stop procrastinating......make the call.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blatter View Post
    I have decided to buy a new planer. I am going with Grizzly and had pretty much decided on the 15" with a helix head. Then as I was doing more browsing, it hit me that I could get a 20" with straight knives for $100 more.

Now do I go with the 20" straight knives or 15" helix head...But will I really use or need the extra wideth? Mostly I build furniture for my family, though getting back to building cabinets is not out of the question.

Thoughts?
    A 20" planer with knives for $100 more serves no purpose, except to prolong time between knife changes. I cannot fathom trying to plane wide slabs on a 20" knife head with any great success. Glue-ups would have to be straight-grained and very uninteresting. Tearout will make you wish you had a spiral head, time and time again! IMHO, a 15" planer with spiral insert head would be your better investment. I hear the small ridges left from a Shelix head can be cleaned up with a ROS. But, any knife-type planer begs for a decent drum sander to finish what it started.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Save the extra Money and buy the 20" with the spiral head already installed.. it is a major PITA to replace the cutterhead. I have the g0454z and it is a champ! i had a 15" straight knife and will never go back!! the cutters last at least 4 times as long, then when they are dull, you still have 3 other sides to rotate to. the 5hp is great i was planing 12/4 black walnut 12" wide 8' long the other day and had no struggle. its quiet as well, just hear the air from the cutterhead (when under no load)... smooth clean cuts on everything thrown its way!

I have a 20" GI Planer with a Helical head.. I would accept 15" to keep the helical head.. would not go back to straight knives.. I have planed 19" and 19.9" glue-ups .. sofa tables last Xmas.. its great.. most of the time however, I am planing much narrower stock and appreciate the helical head every time..

Width is a luxury.. Quality of cut is an asset.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post

Width is a luxury.. Quality of cut is an asset.
    Truer words...

Mark, I have a 20" grizzly 3hp planer with a byrd helical head for sale for $1500. Contact me if you are interested, I am in Virginia.
    bill

Already bought the 15" Bill. I am already second guessing my decision, but I started using it today. I would have loved the 20" but just couldn't justify the price.

Also, I am in Denver, so it would have been a challenge getting it picked up.

Thanks anyway.

Blog Entries
    Mark,

I think you did fine picking a 15" planer. No need for second guessing. Unless you have or are planning on getting a jointer larger than 15" it seems to me you made the right choice.

Please post some pictures of it so we can see what you picked out.

PHM

I agree with Paul.

I would love a 20" planer, but am perfectly happy with the 13"er that I have. It was a money decision, so ... if that picture ever changes ... maybe I'll buy something else.

Would enjoy seeing pics !

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blatter View Post
    Thanks all for your thoughts.

I have been using a lunch box planer, and while it does a nice job, it is loud and needs to that knives replaced due to a nick. I just spent two years working at custom cabinet shop where we had a 12" top of the line Grizzly jointer that was oh so smooth, and a 20" top of the line Grizzly planer, both with HH. I got really spoiled. Also had the 36" wide belt sander, so have been hesistant to get the drum sander as I am so spoiled.

At this point, I think the 15" HH is the right way for me to go. I have been somewhat looking for a used drum sander and may have found one, a 16-32 Performax. Need to just make the call and get the planer ordered. Stop procrastinating......make the call.....

I think that you're making the right decision (unless you buy Bill's 20" planer in VA). At present I have a 16" straight knife jointer / planer, and a 25" spiral cutterhead jointer planer, and a 37" WBS. Previously had a 16" spiral cutterhead jointer and 20" spiral cutterhead planer.

IMO - you are better off with the 15" spiral cutterhead machine, and putting your next investment towards either a WBS or wide drum sander. The best of all worlds.