Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tenon saw dilemma, Wenzloff or Bad Axe?

I would be surprised if anyone ever has a strong opinion about them. A short panel saw seems to do everything they do quite well, but they are nifty looking. I think if anyone has a strong opinion against them, it's only because they're opposed to people spending a lot of money on new tools.

I'd love to have a couple of them for giggles but have absolutely no idea what I'd do with them that I can't do already. What do you think of them in use. They kind of remind me of the nissan stanza, except they look really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Could someone explain to me what the difference is between a carcass saw and a tenon saw. I know tenon is larger. What is the difference in usage?
    Generally, a tenon saw is longer, taller, and more coarse. The theory is that A) you'll need to cut tenons deeper and B) the extra plate helps keep the saw vertical by raising the center of gravity, making it easier to see and feel if you're off a bit.

iirc, the idea behind the different classes of saws is something like

a) dovetail saw for cutting dovetails in drawers (most fine and little)
    b) carcass saw for cutting dovetails in a carcass (more coarse, bigger)
    c) sash saw for, I dunno. Cutting sash bars? (more coarse still, even bigger )
    d) tenon saw for cutting tenons (coarsest, biggest)

Blog Entries
    I thought the definition of the different saws came from saw makers trying to sell you as many saws as possible...

Thats OK with me, I like saws, but I don't have enough money to throw at them... one day, one day.

I mentioned the half back saws because I like the way they look, and I am sure one would look very nice hanging in the lid of my tool chest...
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Have been e-mailing Mike. He is going to do a kit for a large tenon saw for me. He says he does not have enough parts already made, so they are not on the website and are by request only. I already have a panel saw of his and I enjoyed doing the handle. This save a bit of money, which I am already looking to spend on wooden vise screws and hardware for the leg vise. Mike is a great guy to work with, looking forward to getting my hands on the saw kit!

What do I think of my half-backs? They're really nice to look at, but I only reach for one when I make a conscious effort to use it! They seem to be the multi-tool of joinery saws, with specific saws probably better for the job. But I like how they look.