Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decking materials- experiences?

Decking materials- experiences?

Okay, we're about to expand our deck on the back of the house and I'm looking into materials to use. It's a big job (36x15-18 ft) so materials will be a big factor in overall cost.

I know Ipe is kind of the "gold standard" if you will, but I'm not sure my wallet is up to the challenge- but not totally out of the question. I realize most people go with pressure treated. I do plan on staining with a good oil based stain. Composite is out of the question, I want real wood. I've had someone suggest Tigerwood as a slightly cheaper alternative to Ipe. Someone also mentioned Garapa decking. There's a guy nearbye who sells "Tailorwood" which is kiln dried pine that is then shaped with a slight crown and expansion grooves underneath. It's still good old pine, but supposedly clear sapwood and premium boards. Price may be similar to Ipe. I've heard of thermally treated pine, but no one around here seems to know how to get it. I've heard bad things about cedar's longevity.

I thought I'd see what you guys have personally used and how it's held up over time. Thanks.
    Where did I put that?

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't pay Ipe prices and get pine for it

I'm in a similar situation, needing to put on a deck last summer, but it has been pushed off until the coming summer due to the 50 million projects I have going on right now. Tigerwood is what I'm shooting for... cheaper than Ipe with nearly the same hardness, but the color will fit in better with what I want to do.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Blog Entries
    Rob,

When I built my house I built a deck on the back and a small landing at the carport. I used the standard pressure treated decking boards on the deck, and pressure treated 2X6's for the decking on the small landing.

I wish I would have used 2X6's on the deck like I did on the landing. I had a lot of problems with the standard decking boards.
    The PT 2X6's hold up much better.....
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

If you are looking for a once in a life time project that you will not need to replace and costs less than Ipe look for Masaranduba or some times marketed as Brazilian Red Wood. It will last as long as Ipe and has a nicer more uniform color. 1 x 6 Masaranduba will not flex even a little on stadard 16" centers.

Blog Entries
    Just about all wood decks are going to turn gray with time and exposure to the weather and sun, even Ipe. The wood deck had splits, warps and twists that got worse over time despite weatherproofing. I replaced the decking on my rear deck 2 years ago with Veranda decking from HD and couldn't be happier. It looks nice, isn't hot under foot (in NW PA) and it has held up well despite lots of snow and summer sun. I went with a hidden fastener system and wouldn't do a deck any other way. Veranda also makes a 1/2" thick fascia board for covering the exposed frame edges. We liked the decking so well I redid the top of the picnic table and stools with a contrasting color decking. You can see the difference between the two photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Pierce View Post
    I've heard of thermally treated pine, but no one around here seems to know how to get it.
    I haven't used it personally, and we haven't speced it in anything yet. I've had a couple reps come by the office, but I can't find their info. I haven't heard anything bad about it, but I haven't been trying to follow the product either.
    Might give these guys a shout for a quote: http://natureschoicedeck.com/
    http://www.thebluebook.com/ is a pretty good source if you don't know about it.

I like Lee am a convert to composites, wouldn't have a deck without it now but the prices are Ipe or worse. If I was doing another wood deck I would suck it up and do Ipe though, it is just indestructable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Pierce View Post
    There's a guy nearbye who sells "Tailorwood" which is kiln dried pine that is then shaped with a slight crown and expansion grooves underneath. It's still good old pine, but supposedly clear sapwood and premium boards.
    It's kind of buried in your message, but Tailor uses their kiln to produce KDAT lumber - kiln-dried after treating, in case that didn't come through to you. KDAT is pretty unusual to find. By using the kiln to dry the wood after pressure treating, you get a much more stable product - it is not going to shrink like regular PT, and is much less prone to splits and checks. Also, if I understand their product correctly, not only do they use only sapwood [heartwood won't accept the treating chemicals], they also treat it completely through the boards - no one else I have ever heard of does that intentionally to 2x material. I don't know Tailor, haven't used the product/services, and know nothing about the price, but KDAT is a greatly superior product to standard PT SYP, IMO - so it isn't just "good old pine", FYI. Also, I can't imagine that it's price is anywhere near ipe, but I've never priced it.

Don't know where in GA you are, but you might check out Norcross Supply. They are by far the largest source of western red cedar and cypress in the Atlanta area. Never used the cypress, but I've gotten a lot of WRC from them in the past year. They have decking and 2x material [all the way up to 12 x 12, I think]. WRC would be an attractive alternative if I was putting in a deck. 3 weeks ago, surfaced 2x6 #2 STK [select tight knot] was $1.20/LF for 10-foot lengths - the price varies by length, moves around with market changes. I got a bit of 5/4 decking last year also, but don't see those notes laying around just at the moment. They can give you the $$ over the phone, if you give them a call.
    Last edited by Kent A Bathurst; 01-19-2011 at 4:10 PM.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

9. I vote for Tigerwood. I did my deck this summer, about 450 sq ft. We love the tigerwood. It is not as dark as IPE and has fabulous grain. I hated to cut each board. I found AdvantageLumber and their prices were the best I could find. I think I paid around 2.18 per linear ft. The benefit for me was that I could specify what lengths I wanted. I needed lengths between 10 and 15 ft, 120 boards. The boards over 14' cost .40 more per ft. so the 15 footers were a little more, but I only needed a few so it was ok. For me, the random lengths that most companies wanted me to do just didn't work for me.

I over ordered by about 10 percent to cover any bad boards, etc., and I did have about 10 boards that were split or had a little shipping damage. I called AdvatageLumber and they were very polite, very nice, and replaced the boards, no charge.

Wow... I highly recommend these guys. I mean, how can you not like that kind of service. They even left me with the damaged boards, which I will be able to use...

Check out their web site. I also recommend for anyone doing a deck... you need the Hardwood Wrench. IT was soooo easy to use. I can't imagine how I could have straightened the boards and "cinched" them up without it. And the good news is... I have a used one, that is like new... that we could work a deal on. I certainly do not imagine needing this again.

I opted to use the hidden fasteners and so far.... am very happy with them. They have an option to buy the boards with the slot already cut, but again, it is extra. I figured since I have a biscuit slot cutter I would just do my own, and then for all the edges I wouldn't need a different order. It worked well, ok... it took extra time, and setting up the slot the first time is a little tricky because the hidden fasteners are T shaped and you want the T to sit flat on the joists.

How nice to see gorgeous long boards... The other thing I did was buy a used floor buffer... and I got the sanding screens from HD rental, and buffed that deck down before oiling it... wow... smoother than a baby's bottom. Yes, after rains and snow it has gotten a little rougher... but it is still very smooth.

Well, enough of my project... Good luck with your project...

You will love whatever wood you get...
    Last edited by Dean Ousterhout; 01-19-2011 at 5:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I like Lee am a convert to composites, wouldn't have a deck without it now but the prices are Ipe or worse. If I was doing another wood deck I would suck it up and do Ipe though, it is just indestructable.
    +1

I have decks made from both Choice Deck and Trex.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Blog Entries
    I have a small Ipe deck that has held up with zero problems over the past 10 years. There has been no splitting, cupping, or other problems mentioned here (and I live in a rain-rich environment). Note that you can keep the natural wood color as long as you re-finish the surface each year with a UV finish. If you don't then the wood will quickly turn silver in color. Most people do not want to deal with that level of maintenance so they accept the color change or go with a different option. Tips for Ipe or any natural wood:

1) Seal the ends and all cuts with anchor seal or a similar product
    2) Finish both sides of a board prior to installation. Penofin (sp?) sells a product specifically for high-resin content wood decking.
    3) IMO, screwless decks are worth the extra effort & cost. I used EB-TY on my deck but I'm sure there are newer and better products.
    4) If you go with screwless you can get most suppliers to pre-notch the edges of the board (saves hours of biscuit cutter time).

The plastic decks -can- be nice but you need to do your research. Some of the materials are very poor, e.g. I've seen freeze/thaw cycles quickly break up the material. When budgeting for plastic decks remember that your joists will need to be closer together due to the bending strength of the decking material. In other words, it's not just the added cost of the decking material, it's the additional cost for extra joists. This can add up for larger decks.

+1 for EB-TY, Used them to build a plastic wood deck, Looks great, no maint other than wash.
    Hidden fasteners are where it's at.

i used redwood and fastened them with deckmaster brackets and stained the entire thing with some behr product.

Blog Entries
    Dean,

Almost the same thing here... I purchased a used biscuit slot cutter from a member here with the intention of purchasing non-slotted boards and doing it myself.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post

I'll chime in for WRC. Have a 35 year old deck up north on the lake and still looks great despite harsh consditions. Just roll on a UV sealer every two years.