Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It won't all be firewood!

It won't all be firewood!

Early last summer, strong winds split the top out of a maple in my front yard. At the end of the summer I dragged the top down with the tractor but just left it. Since today was a nice one, I decided I would cut up the top for firewood. While I cut, my twin great nephews loaded the smaller pieces.
    2011-01-19_15-22-18_701.jpg2011-01-19_15-22-37_547.jpg2011-01-19_15-22-42_758.jpg
    Thought I would cut down the remaining stub and leave some of the larger pieces to spalt. After bringing it down, I could see why it had broken. The dog found it interesting,

2011-01-19_16-46-19_412.jpg
    I found the bottom even more so.

2011-01-19_16-23-51_218.jpg
    It’s a low area, we had rain yesterday and the sap poured out of that stump just like it was spring.
    Since I cut them too long to pick up and didn’t want to try and figure out where to split them with the sun going down, I went and got something different.
    2011-01-19_16-43-51_670.jpg

The boys had changed to go home but they came back to check out the BEEG tractor
    2011-01-19_16-46-43_773.jpg
    and Beeg pieces. Too lazy to go get my camera so made do with a cell phone.
    2011-01-19_16-44-32_868.jpg

Hauled them back to the woodshed and put a garbage bag over each one. The wood that is. Will figure out the best way to split them tomorrow morning, core one and anchorseal the others. Hopefully it will be cold enough so my helpers don’t want to haul more wood.

ow, three helpers and beautiful wood you are truly blessed!! Any chance it is a Sugar Maple? I grew up in NE Ohio where there were lots of Buckeye and Sugar Maple trees. I just can't get those woods here.
    Last edited by Christopher K. Hartley; 01-19-2011 at 8:35 PM.
    Success is the sum of Failure and Learning

Those are some big pieces. Keep us posted on the splatting progress.
    Randy Gazda
    Big Sky Country

Man alive! Not only are those big maple pieces, but they have some primo wood! I can't tell from the photos, is that spalting or ambrosia beetle stain? Either way, that is a SCORE.

And good call on not bagging the nephews; I'm guessing that wouldn't go over too well.

You are making me very envious. Nice score. Kieran

Looks like the Ambrosia beetles have blessed you, Baxter!! That stuff will be some nice wood. Throw a little spalting on top of it, and it will be fantastic!

Looks like the help was having a ball - great weather, too! How did you luck out with that this time of year???

Boy Baxter that is a haul. It sure does look like some ambrosia in there. Looks like some great turnings.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Great score Baxter!

Those make beautiful bowls!
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

Nice looking stuff, Baxter......... the tractor I mean ...

I've seen some nice Ambrosia before but you have a gold mine there.Spalt it or turn it,either way it will be great.
    Donny

11. Very nice presents from those ambrosia beetles! Beautiful grandchildren..........you are indeed a blessed man, Baxter!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

LOL here Baxter, those little guys are something, you must have enjoyed that, it doesn't get much better than that, and some good looking wood to boot, thanks for those great pictures, I'm still chuckling away ;-)))))
    Have fun and take care

Nice looking Farmall Baxter! I spent many an hour going round and round on a Super C. Wasn't as nice as your H though. Oh yeah nice looking wood too!

Nice pictures Baxter! Looks like you had a great day, not to mention that ambrosia wood.

Wow Baxter. Kids, tractors and great wood. What a day. I can't wait to see some of that maple turned!