Thread: CA finishing question

CA finishing question

I have bowl turned that I filled some worm holes with CA and sawdust. I would do it different if I did it again because the CA ran and stained the wood surrounding the holes. I am wondering about sealing/finishing the entire bowl with CA. I have thin CA, can I brush it on? Wipe it on? Don't do it?
    Randy Gazda
    Big Sky Country

yep, you can pretty well apply it anyway you want,brush or even wipe it on with your finger. If filling a crack it pays to seal the bowl first to stop the CA staining the surronding area.
    neil

The wooden Potter

Hey Randy, that's a common problem. Here is the fix: Around the affected area, apply a small amount of your choice of finish. I wouldn't use CA...to expensive and you have to put it on while the lathe is running. Once your finish is on, add filler of choice, add CA, a small blast of accelerator from a couple of feet away and redo as necessary. I've never had a fail using this method...that a borrowed from a production turner friend in England. IMHO CA as a finish should only be used on pens, stoppers and other small utility items.
    Good luck!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    Hey Randy, that's a common problem. Here is the fix: Around the affected area, apply a small amount of your choice of finish. I wouldn't use CA...to expensive and you have to put it on while the lathe is running. Once your finish is on, add filler of choice, add CA, a small blast of accelerator from a couple of feet away and redo as necessary. I've never had a fail using this method...that a borrowed from a production turner friend in England. IMHO CA as a finish should only be used on pens, stoppers and other small utility items.
    Good luck!
    Does it matter if the finish gets into the crack or hole you are trying to seal?

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

No Dan. CA will stick to anything as long as it's not plastic.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Thanks, I needed that.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Randy I have used a lot of CA. I have used it with waffer board HF's. You can used CA as a sanding sealer. Thou you must use nitrile gloves, unless you want you fingers glued together. You used a plastic or a foam wrapping material to spread it on the piece. Then you need to used a gas mask type mask and face shield cause of the fumes of CA, unless you have an odorless one. Then you will also have to cover you lathe, or whatever you have the piece on, with plastic so as not to be sticking every thing to together. Now having said all this maybe it is better to do as already discussed.