Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need some help with a Craig's List Ad (Very strange reply) - Opinions, Please

I need some help with a Craig's List Ad (Very strange reply) - Opinions, Please

I posted on CL yesterday. I received an email last night wanting to know if it was still available. I responded in the affirmative, and got the following email this morning. This seems a bit unusual to me. Even the wording is suspect ("Aspen Hill of Maryland"?????? - I mean who talks like that???) This person is willing to pay me without even looking at the machine?? Is this some kind of scam? Anyone know? the longer I look at this, the more red flags go up for me.

Thanks for the prompt response to my mail.
    I will be buying from you so please kindly withdraw the advert from C..LIST.
    Please be informed that i will be paying with a certified check from my Bank as i just moved here from Aspen Hill Of Maryland on a job transfer.I will need the following details to mail the payment as soon as possible.

1.Name to be on the payment __________________ 2.Home address______________

3.City ____________4.State _____________

5.Zip Code________________ 6.Cell phone#______________________

I will make arrangements for the pick up as soon as you have your money I am completely satisfied with the advert and the payment will be delivered within 2-3? working days.** I use a hearing impaired phone #
    and will receive your calls via email ***********
    Mrs. (name removed)
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-21-2011 at 6:46 AM.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Don't let this man anywhere near your equipment or your personal information

Smells fishy. If it smells like a scam it is probably a scam.

Yes, it is 100% a scam.

I can't quite figure the angle but I am pretty sure there is one. I for one would forget this one.

Yes a scam - they will probably also give your email to spammers!

If you place many CL ads you get used to this It's definitely an spammer.

I have had similar responses on CL. In my opinion, a scam. A certified check will be "cashed" by your bank, run through the system, found to be phony, and then funds deducted from your account. All the while your nice jointer is gone. Deal locally and don't let it leave your shop with out cash in your hand.

If you would like to ship it to someone while getting no money in return, feel free to ship it to me. I'll at least be honest about you not getting any money for it.
    AT

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I can't quite figure the angle but I am pretty sure there is one. I for one would forget this one.
    The money order or check you get will be counterfeit. Most people assume that it's as good as cash (because it's been certified), and will ship the item out immediately. A few days, or couple of weeks, later your bank lets you know that you deposited a bad check. Oops.

This is a form letter scam. It's sent out shotgun style to everything they find on craigslist. No mention of the item or the price. They're so lazy that they can't even do that.

actually, the purpose of this spam is to fish forfools who are willing togive out a bunch of personal info. Give them a shill address and email and I guarantee it will be inundated with "offers". When will people stop feeding this monster.

Glen,

FYI, I had a similar reply day before yesterday on a table saw I advertised. They offered to pay an additional $50, would overnight the certified check, and their movers would pick up the saw in a couple days. Of course, no name, no address -
    nothing but SMOKE and SCAM. My advice - delete this one and move on asap

Definitely a scam. I was selling a router table setup and was continually receiving these messages. I deleted the posting, re-posted, and informed the potential buyers I would accept calls only. This worked out much better.

Absolutely a scam! This is why a lot of posters now break up their phone number (555-one two three four). They also tell folks to email them at another email address and not reply via Clist.

Blog Entries
    It's not just a phishing scam, someone will show up to get the item. It's often just a driver for a clearinghouse (never the "purchaser"). You will be out the money, you will get spammed, and you will be out the item.

The use of a hearing impaired phone service is so you do not have access to a phone number from the "purchaser", as well as not hearing any accent they may have... they type at a keyboard anonymously and the phone service agent talks to you.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I had a response similar to Bob's - promises of a check and movers who would come pick the item up. They even offered extra $$ for my inconvenience. Stay away from this person. Don't respond any further.