Thread: itty bitty mini gloat

itty bitty mini gloat

I found a router on CL yesterday, that was close to home, for $20...new in the box, which shows it was from HD in 1997.

Wait....it's not that good a deal. It is a Black & Decker 7604. That must be the cheapest router they ever made...ALL plastic including the motor housing.

Why did I buy it? It weighs less than my trim router, has all ball bearings, and two big full handles on it, so you can use it like a D-handle. It will have a 1/4" round over bit in it permanently, and probably outlast me. Actually, I have another just like it except for color, and it is over 30 years old.

It also has another feature my other one doesn't. When you turn it on, a plastic piece raises above the top, which is flat. Then, when you set it down on the top, the piece retracts and turns off the router. Nifty, and a nice safety feature for changing bits. Yes, I will always unplug it anyway.

Rick Potter

PS: The lady I bought it from made it very obvious that she would take any offer. She looked like she had lived a hard life, and I didn't have the heart to talk her down, just paid the asking price. Getting soft, I guess.

Actually I think it is a pretty cool gloat (though where are the pics???). You got a tool that was perfect for your function, not available any more and it is NIB. This is a gloat less about the money and more about what you got.

Rick,

IMO have some of the best routers ever made (and more than one of each). PC 690lrvs, DW610, B&D200 (a DW610 with a 1/4" collet and B&D labeling), and others. I also have a 25 yead ols B&D plastic handled 1.5 hp router with R&P lifting. It's a decent enough router that I have no plans to get rid of it. It does what I ask of it without fail and only requires one wrench to change the bit. Your router is probably like it. I think you did good.

Lets not be router snobs.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I found a router on CL yesterday, that was close to home, for $20...new in the box, which shows it was from HD in 1997.

Wait....it's not that good a deal. It is a Black & Decker 7604. That must be the cheapest router they ever made...ALL plastic including the motor housing.

Why did I buy it? It weighs less than my trim router, has all ball bearings, and two big full handles on it, so you can use it like a D-handle. It will have a 1/4" round over bit in it permanently, and probably outlast me. Actually, I have another just like it except for color, and it is over 30 years old.

It also has another feature my other one doesn't. When you turn it on, a plastic piece raises above the top, which is flat. Then, when you set it down on the top, the piece retracts and turns off the router. Nifty, and a nice safety feature for changing bits. Yes, I will always unplug it anyway.

Rick Potter

PS: The lady I bought it from made it very obvious that she would take any offer. She looked like she had lived a hard life, and I didn't have the heart to talk her down, just paid the asking price. Getting soft, I guess.