Thread: Gloat teaser, my new 10,000 ounce, 81 1/2" long baby

Gloat teaser, my new 10,000 ounce, 81 1/2" long baby

This just showed up today, full gloat, full pics and full info to follow after the weekend when I pick up it's little cousin and I can post about both and the horse trading involved in getting them.

Picture 003.jpgPicture 004.jpgPicture 007.jpgPicture 005.jpg

Definitely going to need so cosmetic rehab but the 600 lb baby is complete and runs and cuts well. With a little addition of 21st century tech and some SW industrial enamel it will be a great saw.

What is it with high school shop classes and brush painted green???

That is gunna be a nice band saw for you. Great gloat!
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Sheesh, making us wait for the complete photographs is cruel and unusual punishment.

Next time I buy something gloat worthy I'll post a photograph of the packing slip for you.

As for the brushed green paint, it's obvious, it has a General complex!

Congrats on the new saws, have fun.............Regards, Rod.

A 20" Delta bandsaw. I am SLOWLY(mostly not working) on repainting a 1950's 20" myself. It was brush painted,and I've sanded it all over. A bit heavy for me to get it outside by myself,so,I have to wait for help as well as good weather. I hope yours is all complete like mine is. Delta charges a fortune for "historic (pot metal) parts". Never the less,my favorite bandsaw. Used one at work for many years.

Karma, Van. If this machine teases you just like you've teased us, you'll know why.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I hope yours is all complete like mine is. Delta charges a fortune for "historic (pot metal) parts". Never the less,my favorite bandsaw. Used one at work for many years.
    The only thing I am missing (except maybe some mixed up knobs) is the handles for the trunnion locks and associated hardware. They look to be about $50 for the set "new" but although I do have plans to "fix" this one up it is going to be nothing like a museum restoration more of an art piece with emphasis on usability. I also thing the brake shoe is about shot and unless I can bodge a replacement I will depend on motor braking via VFD as $85 or so is a little steep for a wear part.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    Karma, Van. If this machine teases you just like you've teased us, you'll know why.

It better learn who is boss, if not I will let the bandsaw on the other side of the room loose on it, I like the Delta but thats a fight it would loose.

You may as well buy some of those handles from MSC,or McMaster. I ordered one from Delta,and it was nothing like the original(which was pot metal anyway.) Those(shiftable) handles can be had cheaper than I paid Delta for one. I thought I was getting the original style,though.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    You may as well buy some of those handles from MSC,or McMaster. I ordered one from Delta,and it was nothing like the original(which was pot metal anyway.) Those(shiftable) handles can be had cheaper than I paid Delta for one. I thought I was getting the original style,though.
    I was planning to peruse McMaster. I am also thinking about replacing all the knobs, some are mismatched now, with some cool stainless ones. I just have to pull them all and see what threads and male/female parts I need and see what I can get.

You might try posting a wtb ad over on owwm.org's BOYD forum. That may scare up some parts. I rebuilt a newer version of the same 20" saw a couple of years ago, also 3 phase with the VFD mounted in the column where the blade welder would normally go. I never use the brake, as the vfd normally brakes the motor with DC current. These are very nice saws, super high quality especially considering you are getting them for cents on the dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Aquino View Post
    You might try posting a wtb ad over on owwm.org's BOYD forum. That may scare up some parts. I rebuilt a newer version of the same 20" saw a couple of years ago, also 3 phase with the VFD mounted in the column where the blade welder would normally go. I never use the brake, as the vfd normally brakes the motor with DC current. These are very nice saws, super high quality especially considering you are getting them for cents on the dollar.
    Yeah, I have thought about that and that knob/lever is used in a lot of the Delta line but I may go the off the shelf solution because I am more interested in making it a runner than a shop queen (though I enjoy those too). By doing this I can probably get knobs/levers for the whole saw and make a more unified theme. Ever since I saw the "BIg Pink Bandsaw" on youtube (also a 28-350) I have been wanting to do something different and interesting with one. I am thinking satin black with some graphic are and polished hardware. Plus, I have never been a Delta gray fan, now PM metallic green is a different story, that part of the saga arrives on Sunday...