Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Air Compressor died

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains

Unhappy My Air Compressor died

ol’ wise & crafty SMC alumni, after 24 years of moderately hard use, my Dayton Speed-Aire finally died last night.

So... it’s time to start looking for a replacement!

Naturally my criteria is somewhat restricting…
    • It has to be a good/high quality unit.
    • It needs to be a horizontal unit with 20+ gallon capacity, I just don’t have the room for a large vertical compressor – it can’t be any taller than 42”
    • It needs to be 110v so that limits it to about 2hp – 12hp if it’s a Craftsman but we don’t want to go there.

So what say ye, learned sages, I am open to all suggestions, I’m heading back to Kodiak next week , it would be nice to have it delivered before I get back.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Sorry to hear about your compressor. I was going to mention that a sears compressor was on sale, but I don't think you want to hear that

Good luck in your search!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page
    ... I am open to all suggestions ...
    OK, well you said it!

When I needed to upgrade for better air flow, but still with restricted space I got this one: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47065. Say what you will about HF but if you buy selectively you can get some decent stuff at a good price. There's a store in Albuquerque.

Regards,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Check out the IR GarageMate...I believe it will fit in your space and it a signficantly better compressor than most in the size and price range out there.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Check out the IR GarageMate...I believe it will fit in your space and it a signficantly better compressor than most in the size and price range out there.
    Thanks Jim, I did just that. The Ingersoll Rand, Garage Mate SS3F2-GM looks like it fits the bill. It does't seem widely available though. I found it at http://www.jackxchange.com/products/SS3F2-GM.cfm
    Anybody ever heard of them? I also sent Northern Tool an email asking if they could order it.

Bill, this is not a slam against HF, I just don't think it would stand up to the abuse it would get in my machine shop / woodshop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    They don't list the SS3F2-GM horizontal unit. The vertical unit at 51", is too tall to fit in the allocated space.

Andy Rooney

I was going to say Northern as well. Alot of IR has free shipping as well. A curious thing is that when you look at the catalog you may see a I/R compressor for $800.00 the on a different page they will have one that has the same specs for $1200.00. Different model number and all. You put I/R side by side to most others and you will see the reason to buy one for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page
    Bill, this is not a slam against HF, I just don't think it would stand up to the abuse it would get in my machine shop / woodshop.
    Bruce,

Believe me, I won't take it personally. I wish I had the space for a much heftier compressor than the HF. For now, I have to operate in my share of a two car garage so I have more limitations than many of you. After much consideration, I got the HF mainly to give it a try and it has proven itself for me -- for now. I'm sure I'll need a better unit down the road.

Best regards,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

By golly Bruce you need to let me in your shop for a while I'll bet I could find room for a little bit bigger air compressor.

When they say shoe horn I though they were putting one shoe inside the other. I was just sure that they weren't honkin to pass.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Consider Campbell Hausfeld? I have two...one is a permanent 60 gallon compressor (VT6310) that is in my shop, but the other one is my portable unit. (WL650500AJ) It is a 22 gallon model,120V that functions both horizontally as well as vertically. I use it on my jobsites to run my sheeting gun, roofing gun and my trim guns.

Bruce,

Why not consider running a 240v line and getting a higher HP compressor? If you're currently using a dedicated receptacle for the compressor you could convert it to 240v easily.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell
    Bruce,

Why not consider running a 240v line and getting a higher HP compressor? If you're currently using a dedicated receptacle for the compressor you could convert it to 240v easily.

Rob
    Rob, I have a 220volt milling machine, engine lathe, table saw, planner & bandsaw - I'm tapped out unless I run another circuit from the main panel in the house.

Bart, you are welcome to drop in at any time but I'm done with re-arranging for a while.

Steve, I dug up the receipt on my Dayton Speed-Aire last night, I bought it on 10/09/83 - that's 24+ years with only the occassional oil change and draining. I want it's replacement to last at least as long.

Andy Rooney

Bruce, check out Arizona Tools

By the time you add shipping, you ar looking at nearly the price of a 5 hp 60 gal. IR. About $750 plus shipping vs $999 and free shipping. I hope Northern Tools can get you a better price than I have seen
    Best Regards, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock
    Bruce, check out Arizona Tools

By the time you add shipping, you ar looking at nearly the price of a 5 hp 60 gal. IR. About $750 plus shipping vs $999 and free shipping. I hope Northern Tools can get you a better price than I have seen
    Ken, that is pretty pricey! Jack-X-Change has it for only $639.50 and that includes the IR start-up kit & shipping. I hope to hear from Northern tomorrow - I rather buy from someone that I have had past dealings with. I have'nt heard of Jack-X-Change but that doesn't mean they aren't a good company.

Andy Rooney