Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: acid brushes

acid brushes

why is an acid brush called that? I rarely use them to spread acid. Make that never.

I think that "acid brushes" are called that because of their original usage, that is to spread
    the acid soldering flux on pipes and fitting that will be soldered.

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Heffner View Post
    I think that "acid brushes" are called that because of their original usage, that is to spread
    That's what I heard - from a guy that worked in a radiator shop.

4. Jim is quite right. They are used to spread flux for sweating joints for copper fittings, or anything else which needs soldered.

That's why you find them in the plumbing section.

now I can rest easy. didn't know I would find them in the plumbing section... I will look there. My HD used to carry a small set in the paint, but they have been discontinued there. I bet they just moved them.

HD/Lowes/Ace can be ludicrously expensive, I think Lowes was $6 for four. You can get 144 for $20 from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OUXAAI

The only issue I've had with these is that they're a little loose on the bristles, so I give them a quick crimp with plyers.

The Harbor Freight ones aren't bad, either... (although they are a little thin on the bristles)

I got a pack of 36 at HF for around $3.

The Woodworking show (Columbus, Ohio) is generally where I try to pick up some. Normally I pick up a pack of 50 (not sure how many) for 6 or 7 dollars. I think the vendor is PeachTree?

Not affiliated with the woodworking show or any of the vendors; just like to browse and pick up little stuff.

Rockler has some in their outlet section right now ... 2 packages of 48 brushes for $12.98.

I've got some -- Rockler advertises them as disposable, but if I act quick & wash them out before the glue dries, I can get several uses out of each brush.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Senburn View Post
    HD/Lowes/Ace can be ludicrously expensive, I think Lowes was $6 for four. You can get 144 for $20 from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OUXAAI
    I just bought 144 US made ones for $6.29 from ENCO, http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3
    Use promo codes DSEDJ for 10% off and FSEDJ for free shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Heffner View Post
    Exactly. My father was a HVAC contractor but also did copper work. He did lots of copper gutter (soldered) and bought acid brushes by the case. This was back in the day when an average middle class guy could afford copper gutters. Now people buiding McMansions cringe at the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by John M Wilson View Post
    Rockler has some in their outlet section right now ... 2 packages of 48 brushes for $12.98.

I've got some -- Rockler advertises them as disposable, but if I act quick & wash them out before the glue dries, I can get several uses out of each brush.
    Actually, if you soak the bristles in water overnight, dried PVA glue will wash right out of them. There was a discussion about this on another forum so I did a little experiment for myself. I let TBIII dry on an acid brush for two days, then stuck it in a plastic container with enough water to cover the bristles. The next day, the waterproof TBIII washed right out.

Generally, I toss mine after use because they aren't worth washing IMHO. I just thought I'd bring it up for the more frugal on the forum.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Thanks for the ENCO hookup.