Thread: Anyone know this Craftsman saw?

Anyone know this Craftsman saw?

I'm starting to assemble tools for a small hobby shop and might pick up a Craftsman Model 137.248481 table saw. However, I can't find references to this saw anywhere. No reviews, comments in forums, anything other than references to the manual. I'm beginning to think this is a bad sign and maybe I should pass, despite the good price, and look for something else.

Tom, if you just do some searching with Google you can find some info in it.

From what I found it is a direct drive saw and to me its not worth having. There are lot of other saw out there that are belt driven that can be bought cheap.

I have a Craftsmen Pro Jobsite direct drive saw. You can do some work with it, but it takes a fair amount of setup. If the blade is parallel to the miter slot and you aren't going to run 8/4 maple you can do a fair amount of work. You will need a really good thin kerf blade and you should probably have a blade for each operation (I don't and will be adding them.)

If I were starting over I would probably spend sometime watching craigslist for an old Delta/Rockwell contractor saw and put the money into modding a saw with a cast iron top. The aluminum tops are one of the biggest draw backs to these saws. The motor is noisy and underpowered, but if you get a good enough deal and spend time setting up each cut you can get straight and square cuts from it.

Blog Entries
    As a craftsman owner, there are two types of craftsman table saws I would not buy. One is the flexible shaft drive series and the second is the motor mounted blade series. Too many problems with those models to list.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I own a Cman direct drive, AKA universal drive. I would listen to Bill above.

Art.