Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think I am becoming a "old Guy"

I think I am becoming a "old Guy"

Well at 55+ might be true, happy to live long enough to have failing eyesight.
    My point is I would see this tip a lot as a "young Guy" and big woo thinks me.
    So I tried it, some wax on screws before putting in a hard piece of wood like maple.
    Wow it really does work well, I am a happy "old guy", stuff like this makes "old guys" happy.
    I am making a woodie plane from some maple and turned a "Stanly" style front knob for it and have a long drywall screw to hold it down. I drilled a small hole so the maple would not split, but boy is it tight, figured I would break off the screw in the hole, tried the wax, and what a difference it made.
    I am sure you have come across this tip before, if you have not tried it give it a go, works well, easy to get a chunk of wax to have handy, even if you are not a "old guy" like me.
    Disclaimer:
    References to "old guy" is for people with a sense of humor, if you are a "grumpy old guy" please feel free to let this make you grumpy for today.
    Cheers Ron.

Blog Entries
    Well Ron, one of the great things about getting to be an old guy is we have the benefit of being aware of all these little tricks.

I think they should be repeated often. Otherwise they just get lost at the bottom of the list.

On a different subject, I see you are from Winnipeg. A cousin who shares my name is from Winnipeg. He is a little older than you, as am I.

But have fun and try out some of the other tips you may have learned over the years and share 'em as you do.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Ain't grumpy about your post! At 58, I'm facing similar challenges. For example, I've sharpened free hand for years, but for the past year or so, I got some of ole Fred Sanford's relatives visiting: Arthur Itus! So, I've resorted to starting to use jigs (far easier on the hands). Same thing with chopping dovetails, I've got to plan for when the naproxen is doing it's best work. I've gotten used to magnifiers.

I feel bad now about how I smirked at the "old guys" I worked with 30-35 years ago and how they complained. Karma, eh?

I am not an old guy, but anything to make life easier! So I will add that bar soap works as well and smells nice too!

Matt

Blog Entries
    At 58, you haven't lived long enought to be an old guy.

Blog Entries
    A little wax on a plane sole can help quite a bit as well, and on a saw plate.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

When I was a young guy, old guys used to tell me, "You won't be able to do that when you get older."
    Well, I'm older now, and you know what? They were right.
    We used to use the wax rings that toilets are set in for waxing screws. It worked really well.
    Paul

I'm 55-1/2. Those tricks are really good news for me too. For years I thought that I couldn't screw into hardwood because I was to weak. Then the screw would break off because it was too weak too. It was good to learn that proper drilling - and use of a bar of wax or soap - wasn't cheating. It's just the right way to do it!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Incognito View Post
    When I was a young guy, old guys used to tell me, "You won't be able to do that when you get older."
    We used to use the wax rings that toilets are set in for waxing screws. It worked really well.
    Paul
    I still use the wax ring I salvaged damn near 35 years ago! Put it in a shoe polish and it had served me ever since. I've heard (never proven by my use) that certain soaps can stain certain species of wood when used to drive screws. I still occasionally use soap, when I have nothing else at hand. I remember my now deceased father drill a hole in the bottom of his wood handled Plumb hammer and packing it with wax.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hankins View Post
    I am not an old guy, but anything to make life easier! So I will add that bar soap works as well and smells nice too!

Matt
    Yeah, soap helps drive in the screws, but it will corrode the screw over time. Wax is inert, so it won't harm the screws. I keep a candle stub in my screwdriver drawer for this purpose.

Paul
    That will eventually make the toilet leak

Jim B

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Belair View Post
    That will eventually make the toilet leak

Jim B
    Are you saying that will "screw up" the toilet?

Another thought on drving screws - regardless of how much easier on the wrist waxing the screw is, I've found that's it's absolutely necessary to prevent the screw from snapping off - if the screw is brass, that is. I also pre-drive a stainless screw with teh same threads into the hole, back it out, then wax the brass screw and drive it in. For those that have never done it, having the last brass screw in a hinge installation snap off below the wood surface is a real drag.

Another thing I picked up on is that an old-fashioned 6" or 8" throw Stanley #923 ratcheting brace makes slowly and evenly driving a screw considerably easier than using a screwdriver, with less failure of the screw slot.

My grand father always said to use soap on saw blades..
    When he was young he worked as a cook at a logging camp in The Great North Woods (VT. NH.) as he called it..
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

Paul
    I've been using the same wax ring for at least 20 years! It will probably be useful for another 20 years!