Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dumb, dumb, dumb....

Dumb, dumb, dumb....

Well, I was feeling pretty good yesterday. I had just a few days left on my vacation before classes begin again at the university and all of my classes are set to go. What's more, I have spent the latter part of my vacation steadily working down my "Honey-do" list, and am nearing the bottom.

At any rate, I was sanding a set of shelves I'd built for our pantry(nothing special, just pine and poplar, painted white). I thought I'd sand the dadoes a bit as I cut the with a router, and the bit has seen better days, it left some fuzzy stuff behind. As I'm sanding, I think, "This sandpaper is garbage. It isn't cutting very well." Blithely, I continued sanding the edges of the dadoes, getting frustrated, but too lazy to stop and check the paper. Until, at one point, the sander just stopped making any progress, other than burnishing the wood(about 10 minutes into the adventure). Grudgingly, I stopped the sander, turned it over and realized...............I hadn't put any sandpaper on it! I had just sanded nearly 6 feet of pine with the VELCRO PAD! And ruined it!

Genius, thy name is not Svenningsen!

Off to the True Value Hardware to pay $20.00 for a new one(we have no big box for 90 miles in these parts).

Dumb, dumb, dumb....

Have a nice day.

Russell
    Russell Svenningsen
    Marshall, Minnesota

Russell -

That falls in the "Stuff Happens" category. Forget about it. At least your sander got all cleaned up when you were changing the pad.

Ted

Russ, funny yes. Dumb no. It happens!
    Thanks,

Harish

DOH!

I've done that myself. You are a brave man for coming out of the closet and admitting it...
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Reminds me of a session of resawing some walnut. Did most of it on a Saturday. Sunday afternoon I go to finish up the rest. Halfway through the first piece I realize the cut is straying all over the place. I have no idea why I would have detensioned the blade Saturday - just habit I guess - but sure enough it was loose and that particular board was pretty well useless. Fortunately the blade didn't slide off the wheels and cause me or the saw any damage. Dumb, Dumb, Dumb.
    Use the fence Luke

I've been compiling a list of the dumb things I do, in the form of a "lessons learned" list, I will post it here soon, it has things like, "don't try to blow a spec of dust off wet poly while eating potato chips"

I hope none of your university students read this.
    Pete Lamberty

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Ford
    I've been compiling a list of the dumb things I do, in the form of a "lessons learned" list, I will post it here soon, it has things like, "don't try to blow a spec of dust off wet poly while eating potato chips"
    BWAHAAHAAHAHHAA! I can just imagine.

Ted

Ha ha Russ, you should have asked while you were here! I could have told you that those velcro pads are terrible for sanding. I've tried it several times, so I should know! It's no fun to ruin a pad like that, or do anything dumb, but we all do it, so welcome to the club.

Bill

Here's another wet poly tip. Make sure your cats can't get into the same room as your just finished project. What a mess.
    Use the fence Luke

I didn't sand with velcro padbut I had a pad that was worn out and since it is only a couple of years old that it might be worn out did not occur to me. So I shot sanding disk off the bottom while sanding after maybe 1 or 2 minutes. SOme of which I still haven't found. Well the guy at Woodcraft asked me about the velcro being worn I said it didnt look likeit . But I bought a neww pad and it is amazing how well the velcro works when it is new.

Roger

I did that on my Rotex but managed to notice it wasn't sanding well after a few seconds....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

What "Big Mike" said...

LOL!!! Oh, man, I'm dying here....hahahahahha
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Instead of buying another pad I bought a couple of sheets of the velcto hooks from Woodworkers Supply, cut a disk from one of the sheets, glued it the smoothed off pad and it lasted longer than the original pad did. Not only that I had enough velcro left to make another 9 or ten disks. The bonus was that if I made the same mistale that you did, I could simply add another disk and keep on working, no down time
    What you do today determines what you can do tomorrow.