Thread: Pierced Sycamore Vase

Pierced Sycamore Vase

Hello everyone! I haven't posted anything in a while because I haven't made much lately. But I did get around to a redo. Over a year ago, I had a catch and cracked the rim of a sycamore vase I was working on. I glued it back together and left it sitting in the shop for a long time trying to figure out what to do with it. I finally decided to finish the hollowing and pierce the rim to help hide the glue lines. After that I started experimenting with colors and dying techniques. I actually lost track of what all I did to it. Mostly, I thinned artists oils and wiped it on. The orange in the piercings was straight painting with oil. It has several coats of tung oil and was finished with spray poly.

As you can see, I've got some dust in the finish and I'm not satisfied with that at all. There are a few dings that I'm just going to leave, and some end grain tear out that is staying too. Overall, a successful experiment, but one I will keep around the house.

Comments and critiques welcome. Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mark

You can sometimes count every orange on a tree but never all the trees in a single orange. -A.K. Ramanujan

Mark, is there something I am not seeing, or did you pierce that vase the thickness of pic #1? howdjadothat? Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks, Max

Nope, I turned it down, but it is still about an eighth of an inch. Pierced with a drill bit then cleaned up with a dremel and carving burr. I was pleased that my seven year old son said "is that where a worm ate it?" when I showed him. Just what I was going for.
    Mark

You can sometimes count every orange on a tree but never all the trees in a single orange. -A.K. Ramanujan

What a great way to make the best of a bad situation! I've got some crippled pieces that I need to do a little experimenting on...

Very nice "worm eaten" vase, Mark!! Good save.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Very nice "worm eaten" vase, Mark!! Good save.
    I was thinking the same thing! Nice save!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Thats a good way to rescue a piece!

Nice save Mark. Looks you made the best of it.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks, everyone.
    Mark