Thread: Nova tech support

Nova tech support

How have you guys done with nova's tech support? I have been on their website and called the toll free number and get an answering service that says "I'll try to get a message to them. They should call you back today." I have to spell L-A-T-H-E for them and they don't seem to know what a lathe is. I've done this 4 times and no return call. I have a part on the tailstock that has sheared off and need a replacement, but no answer to my email as well. I'm frustrated to say the least. Any suggestions? I live a loooong way from any Nova dealer.

Dean

Since they moved the support center I have sent one email. Still took a couple of days for a response and it was from someone down under. Love the lathe, but their support and marketing efforts in the U.S. are sub par.

they have had a problem getting their offices set up. If Bob "G" is not in a message center takes the call and they do not always pass it on. Bob apparently just got his electrical wiring approved by the City and is trying to get on top of things. I'm not making excuses since I have been trying to get a problem with my lathe fixed for quite some time. I think Bob is trying but is snowed. Try him at 1-866-748-3025 after 8:30 eastern time and you will probably get him directly. Whether the new setup has the same technical expertise as Giest remains to be seen. On several occasions it seemed necessary to contact someone in NZ for answers probably Peter who was in Florida for a while but now seems to have gone back to NZ.

Dean, as others have noted, you are talking to an answering service. Not Peter or Bob (both of which I have been dealing with).
    Be advised, the e-mail address given on the web-site goes to New Zealand, not anyone in the US. Bob actually has a separate address.
    Bob is struggling to get things going there, as Darryl noted things are not all setup (yet)
    While my (personal) lathe has been rock-solid, the Club's is having issues and Bob has been really trying to assist me with getting it fixed, but it has been a learning experience for both of us. Neither of us were aware that the electrolytic Caps (on the main board) could be a height (fitmit) issue in certain headstocks (i.e. too tall).
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Bob is "in" as I write this, as he just returned my call.
    He is sending me a 10pin display as he doesn't have a 26pin (low profile) main board that works
    Apparently there are (at least)
    *A high profile main board with a 26 pin ribbon cable
    *A high profile main board with a 10 pin ribbon cable
    *A low profile main board with a 26 pin ribbon cable
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Chapel View Post
    How have you guys done with nova's tech support? I have been on their website and called the toll free number and get an answering service that says "I'll try to get a message to them. They should call you back today." I have to spell L-A-T-H-E for them and they don't seem to know what a lathe is. I've done this 4 times and no return call. I have a part on the tailstock that has sheared off and need a replacement, but no answer to my email as well. I'm frustrated to say the least. Any suggestions? I live a loooong way from any Nova dealer.

Dean
    Hi Dean,

I have had a similar problem with my 16-24 about 10 months ago. I had purchased the lathe through WoodCraft. WoodCaft took care of the problem for me. I'm disappointed to hear of the Nova Tech Support issues.

Bob Haverstock

The one and only time I needed to contact Customer Support was about a month ago. My 1624-44 developed a problem where the index pin would not hold the spindle in a locked position. I called the phone number, got the message, left my message, but received no reply. After a couple of days I emailed through Teknatools website. Very soon after that I got a call from Bob Groskopfs in Florida, and he was very helpful. After explaining the problem with my lathe, Bob was willing to dismantle a new lathe in stock to send the parts, since the parts were not in stock. I told Bob not to do that...it was not an emergency, but to just order the parts. I think it was the next day, Bob called back. He had found a gutted headstock in the warehouse, and upon examining the workings of the index pin, he offered a suggestion to solve my problem. I tried it, and it worked! Bob was very helpful, and although the initial response was a little slow, I was more than happy with the help Bob gave.

Nova is also on Facebook. If you have facebook search for Nova Woodworking. There have been other times I could not get tech support from other companies and left a remark on there facebook page. They sure dont want everyone to see posts by unhappy customers.

GT
    Never go to bed angry, stay up and fight. Its much more fun.