Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need opinions.

Need opinions.

My wife and I are planning to get a space at the River Side Art market this year in an attempt to sell some of my things. Here is a link to the arts market to give you an idea of what Im talking about. http://www.riversideartsmarket.com

I thought it would be a good idea to have a web site when I go down there so for the past month or so Ive been working on one and now have it online. I would appreciate any advise on selling turnings at craft fairs and such and opinion on my web site. Please be honest I really want to do this right and I have pretty thick skin so be honest and dont worry about my being tuff. Here is the link to my web site and thanks in advance for looking.

www.home.comcast.net/~zjrl/glenn
    Last edited by GLENN THOMAS; 01-22-2011 at 6:33 PM.
    Never go to bed angry, stay up and fight. Its much more fun.

For some reason unknown to me the link to my site doesnt work when I click on it, but it is correct and works when I type it into my browser.

GT

It wont work for me even typing it in.

HAHAH left out part of the address.www.home.comcast.net/~zjrl/glenn

Isnt it funny, I stared at that address for 10 min and didnt notice the "home" was missing. My wife noticed it right off the bat, good thing too I was about to go nuts.
    Last edited by GLENN THOMAS; 01-22-2011 at 6:26 PM.

Glenn,
    I really like the site... Clean, easy to follow and well informed.
    I don't know if you'd benefit from throwing prices up there. It's something I am constantly struggling with.

The only other thing was I wanted to blow up the pics of your shop (which looks nice by the way) and that wasn't activated.

Otherwise, well done.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

Quote Originally Posted by John Beaver View Post
    Glenn,
    I really like the site... Clean, easy to follow and well informed.
    I don't know if you'd benefit from throwing prices up there. It's something I am constantly struggling with.

The only other thing was I wanted to blow up the pics of your shop (which looks nice by the way) and that wasn't activated.

Otherwise, well done.
    Sometimes I see shops I would like to "blow-up" too but I figure the time in jail just wouldn't be worth it.

On a serious note the site looks wonderful to me.

"The best things in life are not things."

I don't have any experience selling at craft shows, so I can't help you much there.

The website is very nice. It's clean and easy to navigate. As for pricing the items, I personally like to know what something might cost or at least a ballpark idea. If you don't want to price each item, you could certainly have something like, "Prices from $X and up". With the items like tea lights and bud vases, that might be helpful to potential customers.

Nice site!

I agree with David. I would like to see prices and are you going to use paypal?
    A few hours south of Steve Schlumpf

I really like your website, particularly the page that describes the process. As for art and craft shows, I've never done one that I had to sit there all day. I've done a few that you set up, then get the heck out of there and they handle all the check out and stuff at a central location. I would suggest that you have some business cards on hand. Most of my sales have come from people that have picked up a card, thought about it a few days, and then contacted me to buy something. If you have things that are priced relatively high it seems like a lot of people won't make that purchase on the spot but if they can get in touch with you later they'll negotiate something with you.

Glenn,

I took a quick pass of your site. I think it looks very good. Navigation worked and you had a nice representation of your work. Haven't sold on line or at shows so can't offer much advise. Agree with Curt, always have cards or fliers, they keep selling long after the show is over. At a local show this fall I bought a piece of glass for my wife. The artists husband used a nice paypal app on his I-phone. I thought that worked pretty well. I did not need my Paypal account, just a credit card. Good luck.

I am wondering if it is a weekly show, or a once in a while show. Only way to tell if it will work is to try it. For me, at shows, simple utilitarian bowls sell best, maybe 2/3 of my sales, but I don't do pens or other smaller things. I do have boxes, threaded and friction fit, and they sell some times. Kind of like vases and hollow forms. My prices will go from maybe $5 to $500 or more for some of my flat work. Tourists help, because they are on vacation, and it is the only time when people spend as much or more than they do at Christmas. Even under a bridge, be prepared for weather, some of your pieces look light weight, and dainty. Have a portfolio of your flat work, and some other turnings that you may not have on display. When they ask you about what kind of wood you use, say 'fire wood' as in anything laying on the ground is fair game. Good way to get more wood. Have cards, though they tend to get lost. Most of the time the show office will keep you on record, and it is easier for the customer to remember the show, than for them to find your card. If it is a weekly show, try to be some what regular, maybe every week if you are hard core, or the first and third weekends. A lot of people will ask if you will be back. Be open for trades with other vendors. That is how I do most of my Christmas shopping. If possible, talk to some of the other vendors who have done the show. Half of the people who stop to talk to you are other woodworkers. They usually understand if you have to stop talking shop to deal with a customer, but you don't want them in the booth with you all day. Have fun!

robo hippy

robo hippy

The site's looking good, Glenn. My only suggestion would be to spend the few extra bucks it'd take and register your own domain name and pay a hosting company for web space. Having a web address like glennthomas.com will be a lot easier for customers to remember than your current one. It also looks more professional.

Best of luck at the show.

Glenn it's apparent you have graphic design training, the site is done very well. The suggestion to add price ranges for each category of turnings would be helpful so visitors have an idea of the cost.

A small editorial comment: "When turning ... as it settles." To me as a visitor that section provides no value.

Really nice website and easy to navigate. I agree prices would be nice.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Enjoyed the site Glenn. Good luck at the show.