Thread: cherry island finish

cherry island finish

I have a cherry island that im gonna finsih next week. I'm going to spray laquer, do I need to do anything before the laquer? I have sanded to 220. I was going to just put two coats of laquer on it.

Thanks

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Depends on what you expect it to look like when you're done.

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    A vinyl sealer will make the overall coating more moisture and water resistant.

Bob,
    I just want a natural cherry that will age with time, I was wondering if a sealcoat of shellac was a good idea

I would "stain" it first with a product such as Minwax natural or Cabot's natural, which seems to have more natural colored "solids." I wouldn't bother with vinyl sealer, but go directly to spray lacquer. I am assuming you are planning to use solvent based lacquer. I would also use pre catalyzed lacquer for its improved durability, and depending if you plan to thin the material before spraying, I would consider at least three coats for maximum depth appearance and durability. The combination of the "natural stain" and solvent based lacquer will allow the cherry to naturally age.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Bilello View Post
    A vinyl sealer will make the overall coating more moisture and water resistant.
    An emphatic +1 on this suggestion. I never use lacquer without this sealing coat. Check out the finsih formulators instructions if you want predictable results.

thanks guys I did apply a seal coat today and then sanded with 320 . I am using solvent based precat laquer

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce buren View Post
    Bob,
    I just want a natural cherry that will age with time, I was wondering if a sealcoat of shellac was a good idea
    Bruce .. I wasn't trying to be sarcastic (you'll KNOW when THAT happens) ... just wondering what color/finished gloss/protection level you were looking for. There are so many options, and you gave so little information, I just thought I'd ask what you expected the final result to look like.