Thread: Veneer Repair

Veneer Repair

I'm considering taking on a repair job to refurbish an antique pool table. Beautiful table and one of the best playing, if I can get the veneer back in shape. I haven't yet seen the table, but the guy that's got it sent me this photo. If all of the veneer is in the same shape, is it repairable, or would I have to remove it and reveneer the piece? Also has damage to the inlay in spots, so this wouldn't get any easier...
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you were doing it as a labor of love, it might be worth it. But if he has to pay you for the work, it might be cheaper to buy a new table. That piece needs some pretty major work. There's a couple of ways to attack the problem but one way to do it is to remove the finish with stripper, find veneer that matches the existing veneer, and piece it in such a way that the patches aren't obvious. And when you finish making all the veneer repairs, then finish it again.

Trying to patch it while saving the existing finish would be even more difficult.

The only way such an extensive repair would be worth while is if the piece of furniture is worth a LOT of money.

Of course, you could sand all the veneer off and replace it but you'd destroy any antique value it might have.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 01-23-2011 at 12:01 AM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

The inlay banding is available new. Google "acute marquetry". Looks identical to the picture.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Tony, Mike,

Thanks for the tips. This table would be wholly for me, but if done properly, could be nice. I just haven't done veneer and taking this on as a first project would be a challenge.

Lou

Due to the size of the table you will have the best luck with PSA backed veneer. Basically peel and stick. Or you could try contact cement from Joe woodworker. I have had good luck using his stuff on antiques.

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Ortiz View Post
    Tony, Mike,
    This table would be wholly for me, but if done properly, could be nice. I just haven't done veneer and taking this on as a first project would be a challenge.
    Lou
    The photo looks pretty bad so it will be much worse when up front and personal. I'm not sure if you are doing this job for money "..I'm considering taking on a repair job..."or they are giving it to you "...This table would be wholly for me...". If you have to ask these questions, you are in way over your head. Even if you are doing this for yourself, it will be in your way for a very very long time.

I do woodworking for myself and this table is no exception. Why would I be in over my head? I've mostly focused on reproductions, I have done some marquetry and have a fairly well setup shop, is there something I'm missing about the complexity of veneering or repairing this piece?

I do woodworking for myself and this table is no exception. Why would I be in over my head? I've mostly focused on reproductions, I have done some marquetry and have a fairly well setup shop, is there something I'm missing about the complexity of veneering or repairing this piece?
    If you have the skill and time, there's nothing to keep you from getting it repaired. You probably know this, but don't use PSA or contact cement on raw veneer.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Well...I'm trying to gather both more skill and time, always a challenge.

Lou

Well...I'm trying to gather both more skill and time, always a challenge.

Lou
    My analysis is that there's a lot of repair areas to do - so it'll be time consuming and tedious - assuming you repair it and don't replace all the veneer.

And as someone else said earlier, the actual item is always worse than the picture.

Mike

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    Don't get so defensive. You were the one that asked the question which to me implies that you did not have much knowledge or experience in this. You aslo asked ".... If all of the veneer is in the same shape, is it repairable, or would I have to remove it and reveneer the piece? Also has damage to the inlay in spots....," Now you say "
    I do woodworking for myself and this table is no exception. I've mostly focused on reproductions, I have done some marquetry and have a fairly well setup shop ". I just am getting mixed messages. No matter, I'm done with this post.