Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drill bits, what do u suggest to buy?

Same here. I got a very small set that is very helpful in choosing bit sizes for starter holes. Enco / USA
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

American made drill bits from Montana.
    http://www.montanabrandtools.com/default.aspx

If you want something that will hold up drilling metal, bits with cobalt are the way to go. By "cobalt" I of course mean the elemental metal, not the Lowes brand "Kobalt." HD has a set in the Ridgid brand that looks to be priced pretty well if you can use a coupon.

I will second the recommendation that you learn to sharpen drill bits. Hand sharpening isn't hard. A belt of disc sander works well with a fine grit, but a bench grinder will get the job done if you use the side of the wheel. A drill doctor takes a LOT more time than sharpening by hand, but you can split the web and have a nicer tip.

For wood, though, brad point, spade, and Forster are the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    +1 - Rod hit the nail right on the head.......
    Ummm....Scott....that's a hammer, not a drill.

A number of yearrs ago, I "overspent" on one of the large drill index sets - 1/16" to 1/2" by 64ths. Except, it was one of the best things I did - there have to be a couple I've never used, but I always have exactly what I need. Some [especially the teenie ones] have a short half-life, and have been replaced many times, but the full set is still right there when I need something. I use these for metal and also for plastic [I don't do much plastic], and also for enlarging holes in wood if needed - like, taking 5/16" up by a 64th or 32d. But, I use brad point for wood.

Down the road, forstners are teriffic, but I don't think those are needed te get started.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

[QUOTE=Kent A Bathurst;1618471]Ummm....Scott....that's a hammer, not a drill.

QUOTE]

Kent, that was funny.............Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Ummm....Scott....that's a hammer, not a drill.

A.
    OK Kent - just for you...

Rod, as usual, drilled it dead center.

Happy now?

<grin>

I'm going to go somewhat agains the grain here and suggest going with a 29pc or so set of Split Point (B&D Bullet, DeWalt calls 'em Split) Yes, there will be bits in the set that you'll probably never use.

More importantly, there will be bits in the set that you will use, but you thought you'd never use. And becuase you have the set, you won't have to stop what you're doing and chase down a new bit.... 2 "hey, I have that bit here in the set" events and the savings in time covers the extra cost of the set.

As for quality, that's simple. Buy the biggest set of cheap bits you can from Harbor Freight. Use it, learn which ones you use most often. Buy those sizes in good quality bits. Keep the cheap bits. Those are the ones you loan out, or let rank amateurs (and the incorrigibly incompetent at drilling) use, etc. You use the cheap bits the same way you use cheap chisels, for rough work.

That's sorta my plan, and I'm sticking to it. I don't have my Lee Valley brad point set yet.... but I'm working on it.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

OK Kent - just for you...

Rod, as usual, drilled it dead center.

Happy now?

<grin>
    Much better, thanks. Try not to go off on those wild tangents, eh?
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wingard View Post
    Buy an "INDEX" full of standard sizes .. they can be bought in increments of 1/8" down to 1/64" ... only you know what your future needs might be. Get a bench grinder, and learn to sharpen them by hand. It is not difficult, once you understand the simple geometry of a bit and how basic it really is. I was shown how in a high school shop class almost 50 years ago, and I can still do it today .. although my vision isn't as good as it was back then, so my wife got me a Drill Doctor, but that's another story altogether.

A handful of bits and a smooth running grinder will do you well for a LONG time to come. An added advantage of sharpening them by hand is that you can custom grind for wood/metal/plastic as the need arises.
    Are suggesting that the Drill Dr. isn't what it claims to be? If so, then add me to your list. The Drill Dr. is the worst among worst tools I ever purchased. Maybe it was calibrated wrong from the factory but, mine is a complete joke.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Phelps View Post
    Are suggesting that the Drill Dr. isn't what it claims to be? If so, then add me to your list. The Drill Dr. is the worst among worst tools I ever purchased. Maybe it was calibrated wrong from the factory but, mine is a complete joke.
    Phil, it sounds like you may have gotten a lemon. I've had two Drill Doctor's (original version and a newer one), and I have been very pleased with both. What type of problems are you experiencing?

Phil, it sounds like you may have gotten a lemon. I've had two Drill Doctor's (original version and a newer one), and I have been very pleased with both. What type of problems are you experiencing?
    I just got mine and it took a little bit (no pun intended) to get used to it. I will say it is *very* important to watch the video.

I of course didnt think that I needed to watch it or read the directions, so I went ahead and tried to sharpen some bits doing what I thought was the correct process. When I tried them they were terrible, wouldnt cut properly etc. After watching the video and correcting my process (I wasnt aligning the bit properly) and now they are *much* better...

Quote Originally Posted by John Cavanaugh View Post
    I just got mine and it took a little bit (no pun intended) to get used to it. I will say it is *very* important to watch the video.

I of course didnt think that I needed to watch it or read the directions, so I went ahead and tried to sharpen some bits doing what I thought was the correct process. When I tried them they were terrible, wouldnt cut properly etc. After watching the video and correcting my process (I wasnt aligning the bit properly) and now they are *much* better...
    I can't leave out the possibility of OP error. But, time after time I got bad results. I read and watched the video many times. I'm not "that" slow. I can hand sharpen them better. However, it's been many years ago. I have forgotten exactly what the problem was except that I ruined many bits. May dig it out and retry.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

13. Hello Phil-

I don’t want to be intrusive so allow me to introduce myself. My name is Marlena and I am in the Marketing Department here at Darex, makers of the Drill Doctor. I was informed by a customer that you have experienced problems with your Drill Doctor and I would like to address any issues you have with your machine. As a small family owned business we take pride in knowing that each Drill Doctor customer is satisfied with their machine as well as with our company. If you let me know which machine it is that you have and the problem that you are having and I will personally make sure that the issue is resolved and that you will be 100% satisfied with your Drill Doctor! I look forward to hearing from you.

Have a great weekend.

Marlena