Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drill bits, what do u suggest to buy?

Drill bits, what do u suggest to buy?

I've been lurking for a while. Now I wanna ask ur expertise for advice. First thread.
    In badly need of nice drill bits ( 3/8 inch and the 13/32 inch bits). It would be used to cut wood, metal or plastic. But I'm confusing what to buy. I've just looked into this Black & Decker 29pc Drill Bit Set .Am I on the right track? Will I be disppointed? Any other good options? Thanks.

I may be the weirdo in the group, but I buy them as I need them. I just haven't found I get good value from sets when I typically only use a few consistently. Especially for the kind of work I do, many of the drills I need don't even come in typical sets.

I would buy a small set as opposed to John's method. Something with maybe 16 pcs up to 3/8" dia. I would buy Titanium Nitride. They hold an edge much better than standard high speed steel drills.

Well, it is a $12 set. Dunno what your expectations are but you'll get $12 worth of bits .

These are excellent: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...at=1,180,42240
    The 29 piece set is $87. I'd recommend one of the smaller sets and then buy a select few of the large sizes you need. The brad points are also outstanding. Be careful with these bits, they are actually sharp unlike anything you get at the big box store. You can cut yourself on these.

I just bought about 6 individual bits to fill in the spaces in my set that have dissappeared over the past year+. Probably the first set I"ve ever done that too but they are good...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris True View Post
    Well, it is a $12 set. Dunno what your expectations are but you'll get $12 worth of bits .

These are excellent: http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...at=1,180,42240
    The 29 piece set is $87. I'd recommend one of the smaller sets and then buy a select few of the large sizes you need. The brad points are also outstanding. Be careful with these bits, they are actually sharp unlike anything you get at the big box store. You can cut yourself on these.

I just bought about 6 individual bits to fill in the spaces in my set that have dissappeared over the past year+. Probably the first set I"ve ever done that too but they are good...
    The 29 piece set you refered to lookes great stuff.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    Buy an "INDEX" full of standard sizes .. they can be bought in increments of 1/8" down to 1/64" ... only you know what your future needs might be. Get a bench grinder, and learn to sharpen them by hand. It is not difficult, once you understand the simple geometry of a bit and how basic it really is. I was shown how in a high school shop class almost 50 years ago, and I can still do it today .. although my vision isn't as good as it was back then, so my wife got me a Drill Doctor, but that's another story altogether.

A handful of bits and a smooth running grinder will do you well for a LONG time to come. An added advantage of sharpening them by hand is that you can custom grind for wood/metal/plastic as the need arises.

I wouldn't use a brad point bit for anything but wood. Its a specialized design. The standard twist drills are general purpose which it was you were asking for. If you just want wood bits you may not need a set

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wingard View Post
    so my wife got me a Drill Doctor, but that's another story altogether.
    Drill Doctor is one of those rare items that works exactly as advertised. Too bad there's no simple way to sharpen a brad point like that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I wouldn't use a brad point bit for anything but wood. Its a specialized design. The standard twist drills are general purpose which it was you were asking for. If you just want wood bits you may not need a set
    So what should I go with?

I've like the made in US bits from Enco. They have sales and free shipping offers pretty frequently.

Rich

I really like Black&Decker "Bullet" bits for general purpose. They are not expensive and are easy to center in wood and metal. The stepped point works great.

When you want a really nice set dedicated to wood, these brad points from Lee Valley are nice. http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...at=1,180,42240

Only complaint with those is that they often get a thin plug of wood stuck in the tip making it difficult to drill successive holes without stopping and cleaning.

Depending on what you are drilling, don't overlook a stepped drill. They come in a few different "step sizes", drill a nice hole and are great for things that are a bit soft (not usually steel). Plus they put a 'slight' chamfer on the hole when finished, which is a nice touch...
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Hi, you asked for a set of bits to drill wood, metal and plastic.

You've really asked for 3 different types of drill bits.

For metal, jobber length twist drills are the norm. A set of good bits in 1/64" steps from 1/16" to 1/2" will be expensive, so perhaps buy a smaller assortment. Pay more money than you are thinking of, good cutting tools cost money.

Plastic drill bits look just like metal twist drill bits except they're ground at a different angle to prevent them from screwing into the plastic and cracking it.

Wood bits come in many styles, for furniture use brad point and Forstner are the most common. Good drill bits run from a few dollars to thirty dollars each depending upon size. You get what you pay for, buy good ones one at a time, or buy a few common sizes.

regards, Rod.

The Snappy brand stuff also seems to be good. I bought the big kit at a show several years ago. I break small bits now and then and either replace them with Snappy or I found a local industrial/tool supply place and have been buying US-made bits that have been much better than anything from the home improvement stores. The brand they sell is Toledo Twist Drill, which ironically I buy in a suburb of Toledo, but are made in Minnesota or something like that.

I also have a giant index set my dad got me from another industrial supply house. Its been good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi, you asked for a set of bits to drill wood, metal and plastic.

You've really asked for 3 different types of drill bits.

For metal, jobber length twist drills are the norm. A set of good bits in 1/64" steps from 1/16" to 1/2" will be expensive, so perhaps buy a smaller assortment. Pay more money than you are thinking of, good cutting tools cost money.

Plastic drill bits look just like metal twist drill bits except they're ground at a different angle to prevent them from screwing into the plastic and cracking it.

Wood bits come in many styles, for furniture use brad point and Forstner are the most common. Good drill bits run from a few dollars to thirty dollars each depending upon size. You get what you pay for, buy good ones one at a time, or buy a few common sizes.

regards, Rod.

+1 - Rod hit the nail right on the head, as usual.

One other item to take into account is how do you view your tools? Some people look at them as being disposable, some view them as being a lifetime investment, and some apply both philosophies depending upon the tool.

When I was in my teens, I would usually purchase hardware store drill bits and replace them when needed. In my 20's, I discovered machinist grade drill bits (Magnum's), and 30 years later I still use these same bits for my metal working projects. They work great and I can use them on tough steels such as spring steel. They are not cheap, but when amortized over a lifetime they have been a great investment.

My wood shop has some inexpensive TiN coated bits that work ok in wood but dull quickly in metal. Fortunately a Drill Doctor keeps all bits sharp.

If you're going to be drilling a lot of metal, I would suggest that you invest in some high quality drill bits and a Drill Doctor. If most of your work is in wood, you can save some $ by buying a lesser quality set. OR - you can buy an inexpensive set for wood and targeted sizes of higher quality bits for metal.