Thread: Non Ratcheting Ratchet Wrench

Non Ratcheting Ratchet Wrench

I'm using my socket/rachet wrench to raise and lower my Freud FT3000 in my router table. Works pretty good and is fast. However, it would be even better if I didn't have to change the turn direction. Is such a thing made?

I have a T-handle hex wrench I use to engage the lock but that does not allow me to spin the wrench the way I can with the socket wrench.

Thanks,
    Burt

You need a "speed wrench" aka "speeder" like this:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...5&blockType=G5

You can really crank it, hence the name.....

Tim
    Last edited by Tim Orr; 01-24-2011 at 7:18 PM.

I tried one but I like the ratchet better as I have more control over it.

If you want the ultimate in speed, cut off the female end of your socket extension and chuck it in a drill. Vroooom!

They also make adapters that you can put in the chuck. One end is a hex sided shaft, the other has the square drive for a socket. 1/4', 3/8", and 1/2" drives. I also have a set of 3/8" drive allens, with very long shafts. About 6" overall length. If you have the room, maybe a set of crow-feet wrenches? Looks like a wrench, but has a place to put a socket extension right behind the open end wrench head.

A drill is not a good idea. I've ruined one router already with that technique. I keep hoping that I'll find an existing router crank handle that will fit the Freud.

Cut, fit, and adapt one. Is it a matter of a socket, open-end wrench, or an allen headed wrench?

Perhaps someone will know what it's called, but there was/is a type of drive handle with a sliding head. The bar has detents on both ends plus one in the middle which allows it to serve as a t-handle of sorts.
    - Tom

Ah, a Sliding "T" bar. Add an extentsion, and the socket of choice. Some sockets even have an allen wrench stuck in them. Or just a crow-foot wrench. These goup to 1" ( SAE) and also come in metric.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Ah, a Sliding "T" bar....
    Yup, that's it. My father (who never owned a torque wrench) could shear off bolts like butta' with one of those.
    - Tom