Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turning For Gearheads

Turning For Gearheads

This was not the design I started with. As I was "indexing" by eye, I realized those new bifocals, might not be such a bad idea.!! I realized I'd never get the design I wanted, so I sat down and stared at it for awhile. Firewood? Or Design Opportunity? It looked sort of like mountain bike gears, so I thought maybe I could make something of it after all.
    So this is for you Gearheads. hope you get a smile. Spalted Maple 10 inches .393 thick.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Cool Michelle!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Guess it does look like gears but my first thought was a shield you might see in a modern movie about battling knights and dragons. Interesting either way!

Great looking.... I can hear the derailleur clicking

Very interesting design Michelle! I can see the gears turning from here!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Lovely work! I can't help but wonder after seeing the last few of these if you've thought above embellishing the outer rim of these forms? Adding 'teeth' to the outer edge of this form might further the 'gear' concept. I'm not capable of doing the forms or the embellishing, so I'm not sure the suggestion should be taken seriously.

Another winner, Michelle! Easy to get lost in these designs. Like the new avatar too - I remember you posted this piece.
    mj

Michelle, That sure is fun to look at! I like it.

Michelle that is a beauty. I like it. I finally broke down and got bifocals. Makes a difference.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks Gents..it did work out, tho it almost went to the woodstove. It was crazy to do as each "row" changed 4 times as it went around, and I became quite confused as I made it. And FRed, I do not hear the clicking, so after i can afford the new bifocals, I will need that hearing aid!

Very nice save Michelle. This gives me a little push to try to figure out indexing some time - I love the piece.

Michelle, another winner! While I do like the spiraling designs better, these are interesting from a different perspective - and all are well done! On the bifocal thing, my "regular glasses" which I do not wear often, are trifocals - drive me nuts!! I use full lens reading glasses from Walmart for turning - can't handle the trifocals. No telling what would come off the lathe.

Michelle,

That's pretty cool. You should try one where the front and back are 2 separate pieces and attached in the middle so they can be rotated in opposite directions. That would make some really interesting patterns as they moved.
    Never go to bed angry, stay up and fight. Its much more fun.

Very nice, Michelle. One of those forms that seems to change each time you view it.

That's really neat to look at. I like it. But my thinking is this, Michelle is doing this now and for some reason can't see? But the other side of me is saying, durn, just think of what she's gonna be able to do when she can see! Looking forward to it!