Thread: Needing info on a Miter saw bench

Needing info on a Miter saw bench

I have built a bench for my Belt/Disc sander,and finishing up on my tablesaw bench(outfeed table). Now I need some ideas for my Compound Miter saw. I'm thinking about an 8'long x 26" deep bench.I'm also thinking about counter sinking the miter saw into the bench where it will be level with the table top.Next question is if I decide on this plan should I center the saw in the middle of the table or offset it to one side? Or, Is there another idea out there better than this one? Toss me some ideas or pics.I will me making it this weekend so I have a few days to decide.The saw I have is a Ridgid 12" Compound Miter saw. It's NOT the sliding saw.
    Donny

Countersinking is what I did...I got some cheap cabinets off CL and just bridged two separate sections with the miter saw. Cleats with a plywood base. As far as the saw location, I centered mine so I could cut to the middle of a board and have both ends supported but you will need room on one end if you want to cut a little off a long board. But if you think about it you would need that too to cut to a middle of a long board it you put it on the end. This picture is early in the process

cabinets.jpg

I set mine off to the side some and countersunk, sorry the picture is not the best.

022.jpg
    Keith

I'm right handed, so I like to do all my measured cuts on the left side of my saw.

So for me, I'd have the longest table on the left of the saw, and short table on the right.

Also on the right, I use a roller stand "IF" I need it for long stock, that way I don't eat up floor space with a dedicated table (that would need cleared off every time I make a cut)
    Husband to 1, father to 9
    2 girls and 7 boys (in that order)
    Life Is Full Of Blessings
    The Lord is my Rock and my Refuge.

I just finished Norm's mitre saw station and like it very much.

I sunk mine, works great.
    I also did not put it into the middle.
    I have 10' available to the left, and 5' available to the right.
    I do not think I have used more than 4' of the 5'
    Mine is sunk below my main worksurface, 6 foot long, and I have a mounted, but removable support to the right.

John

Mine cabinet is 7' in length; with a bi-level top so that the table of the mitre saw is ~33" off the floor. Some guys like the table set higher. I don't want any bench tops to be higher than the table on my tablesaw. 26" of depth will hold a lot of stuff. I would go with drawers and/or pullout shelves; otherwise you might forget what you have stored in the back of the cabinet. Prior to the shop remodel, I had 10' on each side. Not sure yet how I will position the cabinet when I put things in order, but will likely allow at least 10' on one side and at least 5' on the other.