Thread: Festool

Festool

I have a bit of extra tool money to spend this year so I am looking to buy a Festool mitersaw with vac system. I am getting into segmented turning so am looking for a good solid saw. Any comments good or bad from owners of the saw I would like to hear them. Also where is a good place to buy from and why?? Are the prices all the same or is there flexibility. You can PM me with the place to buy if you want because I am not sure if it is allowed. Thanks.
    John T.

The only true pricing flexibility is sales tax, shipping, and the set package deals. The CT26 and Kapex will be a $1795 package deal. I would buy from Bob Marino who has free shipping, however he is in NJ so it means sales tax up front for you. Bob is the Festool guy as far as I am concerned.

+1 on Bob Marino and right in your own backyard to boot. I can't offer any advice on the Kapex as I don't have one but the vacs are great.

Bob Marino is the way.
    The Kapex is a good tool, the Vacs are breakthrough tools I believe. They do everything well.

If money is any kind of an issue, and you have space to put a saw that is not against a wall,
    I would think you are doing yourself an injustice if you do not research some of the competitive saws.
    I have a Kapex, like it very much, but my main reason is my small shop requirements.
    I had a Makita, and would still have it, if it had less requirement for space behind it.

Good luck
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Morrison60 View Post
    Bob Marino is the way.
    The Kapex is a good tool, the Vacs are breakthrough tools I believe. They do everything well.

If money is any kind of an issue, and you have space to put a saw that is not against a wall,
    I would think you are doing yourself an injustice if you do not research some of the competitive saws.
    I have a Kapex, like it very much, but my main reason is my small shop requirements.
    I had a Makita, and would still have it, if it had less requirement for space behind it.

Good luck
    John

Comparing the 2 saws what is the main differences outside of room???
    John T.

If I were looking for a SCMS now I would look HARD at this:

http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/...miter-saw.aspx

John, I have a Kapex, and have also had SCMS by Dewalt and Craftsman, and a Makita CMS. Of all of them, the Kapex is the most precise.

For some reason the cut that it makes is much smoother than the other saws. I cut a lot of oak, and for lack of better words the non-Kapex saws all feel a little rough when they crosscut oak. The Kapex feels like it is cutting through butter - it's that smooth (as is the resulting cut).

If you want to avoid the sales tax (and buy some wood at the same time), Steve Wall at Wall Lumber is also a Festool dealer, and a super nice guy to deal with. Bob Marino sure has a great reputation though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    I have a bit of extra tool money to spend this year so I am looking to buy a Festool mitersaw with vac system. I am getting into segmented turning so am looking for a good solid saw. Any comments good or bad from owners of the saw I would like to hear them. Also where is a good place to buy from and why?? Are the prices all the same or is there flexibility. You can PM me with the place to buy if you want because I am not sure if it is allowed. Thanks.
    Festool dealers in February will be selling factory refurbished models for 10% or 20% off MSRP (depending on wear). I have played with the Bosch and latest Makita saws and they are all accurate. If you need the space behind the saw then the Bosch and Festool would be the best options. I think any of these would perform equally well for cutting segmented turnings in a shop environment.

John

You might want to seach the FOG forum (Festool owner's group) and TalkFestool forum. Lots of Kaypex users on both and they all tell it like it is. I don't have the saw, have only used it in a Festool class I attended but I was impressed. I have a 8 year old Makita Slider that works for me so I saved myself a few bucks!

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    If I were looking for a SCMS now I would look HARD at this:

http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/...miter-saw.aspx
    I'm thrilled this saw came along. I'm green/black through and through but I just could not plunk down that kind of scratch for a Kapex. This Bosch will get a very hard look in a year or so...once they work a few bugs out (there are always bugs in the beginning....) but ME LIKEY!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.