Thread: Help with DC380 bearings and seals

Help with DC380 bearings and seals

Need to change bearings and seals in my Delta 15" planer (DC380). Noticed an old thread where Wayne A Hall gave some bearing and seal #'s. I contacted Lynne Scott at accurate bearing to order, but some of the #'s dont add up. Was wondering how I can get that information. Thank you.

I'm sure Lynn recommended that you pull the existing bearings and get the numbers and/or dimensions off them. They're going to be some ultra-common 6xxx size, there shouldn't be any rocket science involved.

[Edit] The referenced post does indeed list some common 6xxx sizes, I'd still recommend you look at what you've got before ordering just in case the design changed.
    Last edited by Pete Bradley; 01-25-2011 at 5:33 PM.

When I replaced the bearings in my DC380 I gave Lynn the numbers off the old bearings. I would recommend getting the metal shielded bearings. for the small price difference they are definitely worth it.

the bearings on the head are correct in Wayne's post, I just used those numbers to order the bearings that I have installed on the head. I reused the original seals, but it seems his numbers there are probably accurate too. Are you referring to this post? The head used the 6204 and 6205 bearings, and the originals were not ZZ, just rubber sealed versus shielded.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-DC-380-Planer

Thanks for your replys. The main issue was the last seal that Wayne listed was 25 x 40 x 10 x 5. So is the seal 10mm or 5mm thick? Looks like too many numbers to me. Lynne at Accurate couldnt tell me which one would be right.

You can buy the seal for $4.99 from delta through service net. I see some oil seals on McMaster carr that list an ID, OD, height, and seal thickness which seems to indicate the amount of compression that will be achieved in use. Not sure there. Having just handled that seal I'd say 10MM height seems about right.

Thanks for all your help. I was just hoping to have all the parts here before I tore it down to reduce down time. I will go ahead and order the 25 x 40 x 10.

Thanks for posting. I have a DC380 as well. No problems yet after 10+ years. So I am probably due.

Mine is 13 years old and has run great, with my bed rolls set right I have never seen a planer with less snipe. This last year it has started to make a lot of noise, I am only guessing bearings.

I replaced the bearings as part of a recent Byrd head install but reused the original seal as it was in good shape and not leaking. The machine is quieter just free spinning, so maybe it was time for bearings anyway? Cheap insurance.