Thread: Sterling Brand Band Saw Blades

Sterling Brand Band Saw Blades

Has anyone here used Sterling blades? I found a local source for what they call " flex back". It's a carbon blade I plan to use for curves in hardwood.

The're half the price of the Timberwolf blades . Timberwolfs work OK for me now, but if I could get close in cut quality and blade life I may switch.

They are American band stock. I haven't used any in several years but they are fine bands. Carbon should outlast silicon steel (like the TW blades) by about twice but initially will not be as sharp. If you go through blades often or even a couple of times a year get a bi-metal blade, they will be about 3 times the cost of a carbon blade but last about 8 or so times as long. Best "value" in bandsaw blades, Sterling makes a bi-metal Contour blade.

Andrew:

I bought a couple of woodturners bandsaw blades from Highland Woodworking:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/w...dsawblade.aspx

They had a Sterling tag on them, and were labeled "X-tra Duty .032 band". Like most manufacturers, I think they have a range of grades (as Van said). However. based on my experience with these blades, I would not hesitate to try other Sterling products.

Richard

IMHO, Timber Wolf blades are like Forrest saw blades, OVER. Over rated and over priced. On my bandsaw, I run a bi-metal 6TPI, hook pattern. 0.025 blade It has only been on the saw for twelve years, so I can't tell you how well it will hold up in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    IMHO, Timber Wolf blades are like Forrest saw blades, OVER. Over rated and over priced. On my bandsaw, I run a bi-metal 6TPI, hook pattern. 0.025 blade It has only been on the saw for twelve years, so I can't tell you how well it will hold up in the long run.
    You must not do alot of cutting. I wear out a carbide blade in 3-6 months.
    Fullerbuilt

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    They are American band stock. I haven't used any in several years but they are fine bands. Carbon should outlast silicon steel (like the TW blades) by about twice but initially will not be as sharp. .
    Thanks Van,
    My TW contour band has lasted well over a year so Bi-metal isn't really needed for me.

The Sterling carbon flex back has the same tooth hardness as the "X-tra Duty .032 band" Richard likes only it's .025 thick.

I talked to suppliers of Sterling ,Starret and MK Morse blades and they all say" our carbon blades have hardened teeth that a file won't cut "

So Van your saying carbon blades outlast TW blades? Cut quality would drop off on any blade as it dulls so for rough contour cutting aren't carbon blades a better value than TW?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post

So Van your saying carbon blades outlast TW blades? Cut quality would drop off on any blade as it dulls so for rough contour cutting aren't carbon blades a better value than TW?
    All other things equal a quality carbon blade will outlast a silicon steel blade like the TW blades about 2 to 1. The Rockwell hardness number is higher. Many people become enamored with the initial sharpness of silicon steel just like hardened spring steel blades BUT unless one has a use for the particular characteristics of silicon steel blades they are probably just wasting money.

This thread has some basic bandsaw blade info in it:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...hlight=bandsaw