Thread: How to Skin a BS Wheel?Ques for Bobby@ Woodworkers Tool Works

How to Skin a BS Wheel?Ques for Bobby@ Woodworkers Tool Works

Guys since starting this project Bobby @ woodworkerstool.com has walk with me all the way through my problems and has provided answers each time.Bobby I have just one more question,I'm at the point of preping the wheels for new tires(which I will be ordering from you later)and wondering how or what is the best method for removing the old glue from these 36" wheels?What I been doing all afternoon is using the wire wheel on the angle grinder which is very slooooow.The wheels is 2" wide and has grooves all the way around the wheel and is full of the old glue which is hard and it stinks hitting it w/the angle grinder Bobby how clean does the wheel need to be to get good adhesion using the epoxy glue and should I take acetone and go over it again with a wire brush?Thanks and getting close---Carroll
    Attached Images Attached Images

I never thought I would see MY name in a post...
    You almost killed me!
    We have tried everything under the sun, and I would not recomend ANY solvents. Cleaning up after the solvents to be sure they are gone is almost a bigger problem.
    The wire wheel method is probably the best, and be carefull of ''kickback''.
    You need to get them as clean as possible but not as clean as you might think. Be sure to remove any loose or lumpy parts that will effect the adhering of the cement or a ''high spot'' causing a air pocket and a tire fail.
    Finnish with a good sanding and wipe down, then to stretch on and add the cement or epoxy.

Carroll the whole bandsaw is RUINED never gonna be right no matter what you do. I will be neighborly and take it off your hands for what you paid for it, and will even pay the same as you paid for delivery even though it isn't as far as the guy came to delivery it.

Van,if I ever win the lotto you will be the first person I'll call.I just about got the PM141 fence painted and installed.3bolts???---Carroll

It was so hard to take off that saw you almost didn't get it... They are nice bolts though, all knurled and hexy!

Thought I would resurrect this thread for a couple of reasons.

1. Talked with Bobby and he indicated that when you get the new tires you should put the shiny side of the tire against the wheel but first you should scuff the shiny side with 80 grit sandpaper to make it dull.

2. Any thread with Van Husky in it deserves a bump. He offered loads of information. Best wishes wherever you are Van.

Rich