Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: When is purchasing tools an illness?

When is purchasing tools an illness?

Okay, I admit it, I like buying tools.

So, when is this obsession an illness?

My family isn't neglected. My bills are paid. I can make money with the tools. I take very good care of my tools. I can find room for each one so that they aren't crowded. I try not to duplicate too much unless I have a valid reason.

Should I be saving more money and putting it in the bank?

I don't really have any other bad habits.

I told SWMBO that she can auction the works when I pass on and do whatever she wants with it except for a few sentimental items that I would like to see passed on.

When you wife gets fed up with you doing it and begins to beat you for doing it....it would then become a medical problem....don't know if it would be considered an illness.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I told the wife she can have all of the tools and the shop after I am gone.

If you have to ask... it is at least a condition. When you quite asking it is definitely an illness.

Tuesday.

Blog Entries
    When your shop starts to get crowded you have passed into the pathological stages of tool buying. As long as you have room, you're OK. Save yourself! I'll PM you my address so you can send some of your tools to me to make room for more.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Tuesday.
    For me it is Thursday...something rather, uhm, spendy is arriving and I didn't ask first.... hahaha
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Technically, a sign of early addiction is adaption, meaning that you need more ___________ to get your desired emotional fix from buying tools. Thus, prodromal signs would be escalating purchases and rationalizations, evidenced by defensive declarations, sneaking tools in, increasing anxiety and a need to alleviate that anxiety by further and more elaborate, or expensive purchases. Be forewarned, there is no TA (tool anonymous).
    Until then, enjoy!

When you truly believe that the next tool purchase will make your life happy. Unfortunately, I always have a "next tool" that will make me happy.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Michael, that is the first time in my life i have seen the word "prodromal". Not only that but when I looked it up I found out you were even using it correctly!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Of all people, I could never criticize anyone for having duplicates, but I figure there is point. As long as you actually use the stuff you have, I say go for it. Some "collectors" never use the tools they do have, which seems a bit wasteful, but as long as they can afford it....

As I told someone else recently, and I'll paraphrase, don't ever ask your drinking buddies if you drink too much.

When you have to cancel Thanksgiving dinner because you have a 5 axis CNC with vacuum table in place in your dining room, and your wife suggest putting a table cloth on "It" and eating there but you don't want your guests to get "Her" dirty with crumbs, at that exact moment, you have moved into the realm of serious illness. That or when you sell your home and move into an industrial condo which prohibits domicile by its rules, but you just have to be closer to your tools, and have a steady supply of 3 phase power. These are clear signs that your hobby has turned the corner into illness. But some forms of illness are untreatable, an others must simply run their course and may eventually cure themselves.

If you need an intervention, reach out for help. PS, I have a van and access to a flatbed if you need the temptations removed or relocated. And I don't have a problem, I swear, my tool buying is healthy. Does my dog look skinny to you? I think I may have spent the dog food money on a router, but she looks fine to me. I'd actually make something if I had the space, or the time after spending the weekends at tool auctions......

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Michael, that is the first time in my life i have seen the word "prodromal". Not only that but when I looked it up I found out you were even using it correctly!
    Thanks Brian. My claim to fame is casually throwing in "paradigm shift" in mgmt meetings and enjoying the blank stares. I've been forced to go to so many lectures and trainings, that Im learning to enjoy "buzzword bingo" almost as much as the standard chicken _____________ they serve at every banquet.

As long as buying tools does not put financial burden on my family, then I think I am ok. In otherwords, it's ok being on the brink of that financial burden.