Thread: The next batch of boxes.

1. The next batch of boxes.

I started prepping stock for another run of boxes. I had made four of them in Zebrawood for Christmas gifts.

split_013.jpg
    Done_009.jpg

I really enjoyed making these and wanted to experiment with some more wood choices, so I'm doing a much larger batch this time...25 of these Doug Stowe designed boxes, plus another half dozen or so of my own design. This larger batch will allow me to take advantage of the tool set-up along the way to maximize shop time. You can catch up on the completion of the Zebrawood boxes and the progress on this next herd at my blog. The link to the Second Wind Workshop is in my profile.
    We’re supposed to break into the upper 20’s here in the Twin Cities, so hopefully the weekend will yield some quality time in the shop!
    Pete “Numb Fingers” Harbin

Peter, I really like the way that Zebra wood grain flows around the boxes. Great job!!

3. Even more work done...sanding and some layout on those fancy Padauk pieces.

You can catch the last few blog posts and tons of progress pics at my blog link in my profile.

So nice to be in the 30's and 40's here in Minnesota!

Those are really neat boxes. How do you finish the inside?

For some reason, I see these boxes and I see fudge-ripple ice cream. Perhaps that's just because I'm on a diet right now Great looking boxes, even if their not fudge-ripple.

6. Thanks Bill! The finish is the same inside and out, a wipe on Waterlox satin finish. I did put felt in the bottom of one of them, just to see how I liked it. I could go either way on the felt.

7. Thanks Jason! Now we know to keep you out of the Zebrawood isle...and maybe Cherry?

Blog Entries
    Great looking stuff. Aren't small boxes fun?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

9. glue_012.JPGglue_014.jpgglue_008.JPG

I was able to complete the glue-ups on the boxes. It's been pretty cold again here in Minnesota, so I moved the operation into the house.

Here are a couple pics. More at my blog.

Peter,
    I posted several questions on box making in the general woodworking forum but can you describe your process for cutting the sides to length, while maintaining as much of a continous grain pattern as possible? What's your tool preference on cutting the miters?

Thanks,
    Brett

subscribed
    <-------- Knows nothing of WoodWorking. Wants to know everything about WoodWorking.

12. Hey Brett,

I built a 45 degree cross cut sled. It's a wide sled that uses the blade tilted at 45 degrees. For the boxes with a pronounced grain that I want to wrap around all four corners I cut the sides oversized in "height." Then I can trim from the top or bottom as I try to get the best matches at each corner. It depends on the pattern of the grain as to how succusseful you can be.

Pete

13. This week I built a slot cutting jig for box corners, and today I made it back out into the shop and got some cutting done. I'm adding the corner splines to about 2/3 of the latest run of boxes.

Check it all out at my blog, Second Wind Workshop (link in my profile.)

Still waiting for spring in Minnesota!

Enjoyed reading your blog. Lately i have been into boxes my self. I cut about 10 box joint boxes in various sizes. They are waiting for me to come up with lids and bottoms and feet. Every time i try assembly line work i mess up something, so i am going to do them one at a time. Nice work.. Carl