Thread: Chime in, is this a good deal?

Chime in, is this a good deal?

A guy wants to sell me this stuff. He contacted me via an ad I had on CL.Im interested in the wood but theres alot of tools too.He wants $1250 Its not his, it was someones who passed.
    Not sure what a CP band saw is. I think the scroll saw is a good one.Never heard of Klemmsia clamps either but found them online. I think the guy made toys.

RBI scroll saw #220 super shape. not sure if all the extra accessories are there
    CP 14" band saw 1720 rpm, 92 1/2" blade
    Grizzly shop vacuum 1 hp
    Craftsman planer/jointer 5 1/8"
    Makita 90 Degree drill #33526271
    Black and Decker router/jig saw #76-400
    Makita cordless drill #0443728
    Craftsman 8" drill press 3spd 1/6 hp
    Delta 4" band/ 6" disc sander #p9237
    Craftsman 8" direct drive
    Craftsman band saw/table saw 10" #113244550
    Craftsman hand router 1 1/2hp #315.174710 A2249
    Makita hand sander #1607283
    Craftsman 7 1/8 circular saw #315.10951 A0248
    Wilmar bench grinder #B-6 3450 rpm
    Delta sander #P8834
    Wood clamps Klemmsia and others
    A TON of other smaller tools
    A very good amount of hard wood as well a smaller pieces such a wood wheels and such
    For $1,250 you can have ALL of the work working stuff including all of the wood you'd like.

I dunno Craig. How much do you suppose the wood is worth? RBI scrollsaws seem to go for around $350 on CL. The 14" bandsaw sound like a generic Delta clone, so is maybe worth $125. Aside from the Makita and Delta items, most of the machines seem less than desirable by current standards. Worse, they may be impossible to unload and become shop space albatrosses.

Of course, if the wood is worth it, you could always keep the good tools and donate the rest. For me, the wood would have to be a really good deal though.

Quote Originally Posted by david brum View Post
    I dunno Craig. How much do you suppose the wood is worth? RBI scrollsaws seem to go for around $350 on CL. The 14" bandsaw sound like a generic Delta clone, so is maybe worth $125. Aside from the Makita and Delta items, most of the machines seem less than desirable by current standards. Worse, they may be impossible to unload and become shop space albatrosses.

Of course, if the wood is worth it, you could always keep the good tools and donate the rest. For me, the wood would have to be a really good deal though.
    Thanks for the input, some valid points. I agree I wouldnt buy a black an decker anything or any new craftsman for the most part.Its about 30 miles away I may check it out.

It is worth a check out but doesn't sound like $1250 worth of tools to my ears...maybe a grand IF "all the wood you want" is good stuff (and my gut says it probably isn't but you never know).
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

The wood probably makes or breaks it. There is not a lot there I would want personally but if you could use the stuff the tools alone may be worth it but only if you would use most of it, not counting what you didn't list.

Blog Entries
    This is a Klemmsia clamp I've seen them but never used one. They sell for about $16 new.

The Black and Decker router/jig saw #76-400 is just the table and may or may not include a router or jig saw.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-26-2011 at 12:29 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I have been to places where family was selling the shop after a death in the family. I have found if they were making toys you will find almost nothing but construction grade pine and dowel rods, after dowel rods.

Be worth a look because if the seller knows nothing about tools he may not have given you the names of the good stuff. For example, he may have given you the names of Black and Decker and Craftsman because they are the big brand names right??? But who on the street has heard of Powermatic or Mini Max.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale