Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Why can't people write?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    John,

Get a sundial... it never needs winding and always goes in the right direction ;-)
    Very cute

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    While it's funny (and easy) to call kids today lazy and not so smart, I'd like to pose a different side of the equation. Who raised all those kids to be like that? Other kids? Nope. Parents who are in their 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's now. So want to call them out, stand in front of the mirror and take responsibility for what your generations created!
    No kidding - that took me back. A "B" required [a] explanation, and [b] discussion on how that was going to improve next period. A "C" got extended grounding to free up time for monitored "study hall" - very, very few of those - 1? 2 maybe?. Screwing around with grades was absolutely not tolerated.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Reals View Post
    Unfortunately we have allowed internet speak to invade every realm of our society. .
    I'm glad the internet has taken over from television as the primary cause of the decadence in youth. I've stopped watching television and would feel left out if TV was the only place to get the good stuff.

As far as written English goes, I think that texting will have more of an effect than the internet. It will be hard to get used to seeing words like "u" and "plz". However, we have been able to accept "Ok" and "thru" (as in "drive-thru pickup window"). Plus we accept countless acronyms like "SOP".

Speaking of spell checkers, the one I'm using with the Opera web browser at this moment doesn't like the spelling of "internet" or "texting" or "online".

Members of the Spelling Police can enjoy submitting "product information" corrections to the Amazon website. I periodically try to correct the misspellings "Gaugin" (for the artist) , 'definately", and "extention" in product titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Reals View Post
    Too lazy to use spell check is real lazy and not funny at all.
    As complaints by old timers go, that's a relatively modern one . You're not going to complain that kids don't learn to spell for themselves these days? The true state of spell-for-yourself skills are revealed in the titles of posts. On my browser, the spell checker doesn't automatically catch misspellings in the titles. I'm too lazy to highlight them and run it manually -yes, too lazy to use a spell checker.

Blog Entries
    Oops I didn't even read past this to the very next post!
    A very human experience.

So often done by so many.

My thoughts didn't take the minute/degree relationship into account until after posting. By the time I got back, others had.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I work with some very intelligent people. Most of them have a Masters or PhD in engineering. But many of them can't write a complete sentence, let alone a coherent paragraph. Apparently, if you can do math well, schools don't care if you can write.

As a parent, I put forth a lot of effort making sure my son and daughter could read well, spell well and write well with proper punctuation. (Even after my daughter's school started a "Whole Language" program where all rules of English are completely ignored.) This made my kids very unique among their peers. I attended a Freshman orientation with my son as he was starting college. There were a few hundred new students in a large classroom. A guidance counselor asked, "Do we have anyone taking Remedial English?". All but my son and a few other students raised their hands. As I understand it, the vast majority of college Freshmen today must take Remedial English. My son often takes some ribbing for being an English major. But I dare say most engineering students couldn't have done it!

I am an engineer with a Masters and can do the math and write sentences. I do not know where the idea comes from that they are mutually exclusive. As an engineer, it is important to be able to write updates and reports. The schools that I know about stress the importance of writing and reporting.

Irregardless, they are doing there best.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Eyre View Post
    Irregardless, their doing there bestest.
    Fixed that for ya...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Having lived in several countries and using several languages non of which I mastered to the point that they could be considered first language level I see this a bit different. Our fore fathers came to the States with a variety of languages and dialects and they put it all together to make a great country. Most were not educated.

Today it is different and with a special program in the schools for any type of problem there is little or no excuse for improper language skills. The exception to the rule is the many students whom have another first language of which many are backwords in form to English. Just one example, in Spanish you donīt have a "black cat" you have a "cat black". These things are hard for many to over come and more so with age and accent.

What is amazing is that foreign students that are not speaking a native language are showing up at the top of the rank in the University systems thru out the US. Having been trained as a designer I changed from writing to printing at about 19 and now cannot write at all. My signature has even turned to a hybrid printing form but legible. Complicated subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    I work with some very intelligent people. Most of them have a Masters or PhD in engineering. But many of them can't write a complete sentence, let alone a coherent paragraph. Apparently, if you can do math well, schools don't care if you can write.

As a parent, I put forth a lot of effort making sure my son and daughter could read well, spell well and write well with proper punctuation. (Even after my daughter's school started a "Whole Language" program where all rules of English are completely ignored.) This made my kids very unique among their peers. I attended a Freshman orientation with my son as he was starting college. There were a few hundred new students in a large classroom. A guidance counselor asked, "Do we have anyone taking Remedial English?". All but my son and a few other students raised their hands. As I understand it, the vast majority of college Freshmen today must take Remedial English. My son often takes some ribbing for being an English major. But I dare say most engineering students couldn't have done it!
    I know a lot more engineers that can write well than English majors that can engineer well

Writing

Probably another subject would be why many people that can write well cannot write anything intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    I know a lot more engineers that can write well than English majors that can engineer well
    Ha! Very, very true!!

BTW, John, I know what a Smith chart is, although I've never used one

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Plus an engineer has much more opportunities in the job market. What is an English major good for except teaching English?

Quote Originally Posted by Montgomery Scott View Post
    Plus an engineer has much more opportunities in the job market. What is an English major good for except teaching English?
    I tell you, there are many many times I've wished we had hired an English major who had some technical savvy as well. Documentation is very difficult to write clearly and correctly. Pat is sort of right, and my comment was kind of tongue in cheek. I've read through some pretty horrid documentation and have spent many hours praying the author would walk into my office so I could strangle him.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    There have been many valid and funny points in this thread. While I would agree that there are many children who end up with a poor education, there are also many that get an excellent education. There are students leaving high school today with almost a the equivalent of the first year of engineering college.
    An excellent point. Where I come from you could not pass a final high school test with 3 (or more) spelling errors on a written essay. Three punctuation errors were equivalent to one spelling error. At least 10 pages were expected. But that was only one type of high school, as the educational system was quite different, so there was still a decent number of people with questionable spelling skills.

What I found fascinating in the US is that I met a fair number of people who were completely illiterate. Actually, I found that shocking. At the same time the nation boasts most of the top universities around the world.
    To understand recursion, one must first understand recursion