Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does any use Netflix?

Does any use Netflix?

I've been thinking of signing up for Netflix, but I'm not sure if I should. They seem to be pushing the image that they are a streaming service, with dvd's, but it appears to be just the opposite. A DVD service with some steaming. I've been looking through their catalog, and the streaming selection is spotty - especially when it comes to new releases and more popular movies. I know I can add unlimited dvd's (one at a time) for another $2, but it's the streaming that really interests me.

So what are your experiences with it? I'd love to hear what everyone has to say about it.

Thanks.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Once TV went digital I ditched traditional TV and went with Netflix only. Their streaming content has slowly expanded but still is only about 10% of their total titles. I still can get just about any TV series I find enjoyable; just have to wait a year once it's released to DVD. A small price to pay to avoid untold hours of commercial interruptions. Old series like Twilght Zone or Alfred Hitchcock Presents not available anywhere else are available through netflix.

I was going to ditch Cable TV in favor of NF, but they made me an offer when I went to downgrade my service, so I've got both on-demand and NF now. There is a lot of stuff on NF I want to see, but it isn't the latest TV shows or newest movies. And they don't have streaming rights from all the studios either, so there's some stuff I've given up waiting on. I kind of think NF+Hulu would be a good combination (I don't like the Apple iTunes store model), but I like the convenience of my Apple TV, which doesn't play nice with Hulu.

I really like it. I first got Netflix Christmas before last as the Blueray player I picked up also did streaming Netflix and a few other apps. (pandora is another app I like). I signed up for the trial and immediately loved it. I upgraded my account to have two movies out at a time, especially useful if I'm watching a multiple DVD series. It also allows me to take my time to get around to watching a film, and let the wife not complain about her selection being delayed. I can also stream movies onto one of my computers in my office.

I picked up a HDTV for the the upstairs bedroom a couple months ago. I made sure it is internet capable. The Netflix interface on the TV will allow me to browse and search too. The older blueray player will only display your online queue you load on a computer.

I love my Netflix for both streaming and for DVDs. The service is very fast for me so I can send a DVD back on Monday and have the next one on my list Wednesday or Thursday. The quality of the streaming video is good and depends on your internet service speed. I do not buy any DVDs anymore and just get them from Netflix.

Been using Netflix since it started and really enjoy it. I mostly get DVDs, but have occasionally stream something. Very quick turn around service.

Another vote for Netflix. They have a very fast turnaround on dvd rental and the streaming is steadily growing.

The selection of movie streaming is hit or miss thanks to movie companies I believe. But there are LOTS of great tv shows to stream. I think we stream more shows now than we watch on satellite. To the point where we are probably going to drop satellite or cable all together.

I have the 1 DVD out plan. Most of the DVDs that I get are foreign, and are not available locally. I usually have a queue for both DVDs and streaming but generally get both on impulse. I'd ditch TV but my wife wants it. The problems with NF are few and far between (lost DVD, streaming goes down).'

Highly recommended!

I've had a NF acount before, mailed dvd service, Haven't tried the streaming version yet, but did hear about poor content from friends who have it. I am a Redbox fan, if you have one close, I have about 10 within a mile of me, these things are going up everywhere. I like the $1 a night rental, get it, watch it, drop it off on the way out the next day. $1, for me I can't beat that deal. I also like the $1.50 Blu Ray rental, hell of a lot cheaper than buying them, which I'll probaly watch once.

Epilog Fusion Fiber 30 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 75 watt
    Epilog 36 EXT 60watt x 2
    Epilog 32Ex 60watt (new tube, putting out 72 watts)
    Epilog Summit 25watt x2
    IL-60 2 x 100 watts 60" x 120"
    Corel X6
    Adobe CS6 Master Edition
    "http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?id=128

My family loves NF. We have the 3 dvd and streaming plan and have had the same 3 dvds for months now. Streaming content is sparse if you are looking for fresh out the theater type stuff. But for us there is a plethora of content. My kids enjoy older horror flix and campy cult films, while my wife and I enjoy foreign films. I find it hard to see how someone could not find plenty of enjoyable films in a library of thousands. But, like I said if you are very specific about watching last summers blockbusters, it may not be for you.

BTW NF IMO is going to be a juggernaut in the industry, almost any new tv has NF built in along with Xbox and Wii , which is how we stream. With this type of clout it can't be long until they get all the content they want.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Effinger View Post
    I've been thinking of signing up for Netflix, but I'm not sure if I should. They seem to be pushing the image that they are a streaming service, with dvd's, but it appears to be just the opposite. A DVD service with some steaming. I've been looking through their catalog, and the streaming selection is spotty - especially when it comes to new releases and more popular movies. I know I can add unlimited dvd's (one at a time) for another $2, but it's the streaming that really interests me.

So what are your experiences with it? I'd love to hear what everyone has to say about it.

Thanks.
    There are two parts to the service - discs and streaming. Their disc service is unparalleled and is great. Their streaming service works very well and you can even stream HD on certain platforms (PS3, etc.). However, as you've noted the selection is not that great. To understand why, you need to understand how movies are released, particularly blockbusters. Netflix can't just rip a disc and put it on their servers, they need to own the broadcast rights for that film. A movie will start out in mainline theaters and eventually transition to the dollar theaters around town. Once out of theaters, the studio will license the exclusive broadcast rights to the highest bidder. Often this is pay-per-view because they can charge more per movie. This bidding process occurs every few months and the value of the broadcast rights continues to decrease (so HBO would win for a bit, then cable, then NBC, etc.). At a certain point Netflix can afford the price for the rights. For less successful movies, the studio will often grant a yearly batch license to Netflix (i.e. a large part of their yearly catalog for a flat rate). Now, the good news is that Netflix has found a way around the large initial broadcast rights fees. They will simply lease the rights from HBO or whomever owns the rights at that time. You may have noticed this with the Stars / Showtime offerings on Netflix streaming. Hopefully Netflix can cut a deal with these other cable networks and expand their streaming library.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    BTW NF IMO is going to be a juggernaut in the industry, almost any new tv has NF built in along with Xbox and Wii , which is how we stream. With this type of clout it can't be long until they get all the content they want.
    It is already a juggernaut. Over 20% of all evening network traffic in the U.S. is consumed by Netflix streams.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    That's actually why I'm looking right now. I picked up a compatible blu-ray in December (Sony s570 from amazon for less than $140 w/ built-in wi-fi - woo hoo!).
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    Now, the good news is that Netflix has found a way around the large initial broadcast rights fees. They will simply lease the rights from HBO or whomever owns the rights at that time. You may have noticed this with the Stars / Showtime offerings on Netflix streaming. Hopefully Netflix can cut a deal with these other cable networks and expand their streaming library.
    I did notice that Greg. I was wondering what that was about. I have Verizon Fios and I know I can stream starz and hbo to my computer, so this must be very similar.

Speaking of Fios, I have noticed that when watching a movie from video-on-demand, I sometimes get pixelation fragments when watching an HD movie. Have any of you experienced this with NF? I'm not sure if it has to do with my internet download speed or not. I don't recall what it is off of the top of my head, but I may increase the speed.

Thanks to everyone for their help.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

I really like NetFlix. Sure, the Red Box is cheap and convenient, but the selection is abysmal. If you want to rent the latest Jennifer Anniston romantic comedy drivel, Red Box is where it's at. However, I'm a bit more selective. My local Blockbuster almost never had what I wanted. (OK, I admit it. I'm a movie snob.) Of course, Red Box is also great for a recent family movie release. It will keep the kids happy.

The best part about NetFlix? They have pretty much anything available on DVD. Never caught "Two Lane Blacktop" during its very limited 1970 release? NetFlix has it. Like to watch "Mad Men", but missed the first two seasons? They're available from NetFlix.

Like documentaries? They're all on NetFlix. Try finding those at your local Blockbuster.

FYI, there's a reason it's called "NetFlix" and not "DVDs by Mail". They are working very hard to make most of their content available online. However, as others have pointed out, the current distribution policies are an absolute mess.