Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poplar Vase

Poplar Vase

Here is a two piece poplar vase with walnut finial. John you wanted to see another one so here it is. I must say I am pretty proud of it as it took Grand prize at the art contest that inculded all types of art and was best of show. I really didn't think it was worthy of that but I will take it. The vase is 4" high and 9" across. The finial is 3" high and is walnut. It has 7 light coats of lacquer and buffed. The LOML has it in her craft display cabinet and told me don't even think of selling it. Also I have been putting on the bottom "made in Kansas" as that is what the director said people were asking for. They want things to say where they are made. So I guess. Forgot to mention the center is textured and stained walnut.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bernie Weishapl; 01-26-2011 at 5:36 PM.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Congrats - great looking vase.

Bernie, I really like the textured band you put on this one, and that poplar is about as nice as any I have seen. It can look pretty drab sometimes, but this piece looks great - almost like maple! Congrats on the awards, too! Well deserved.

Bernie congratulations. You should be very proud. Great piece.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Hope you all got a nice stash. Because this was seized at the border today.

Very nicely done and the poplar with walnut are a good combo.

That is very nice! Question - what did you use to do the texturing? Is that carved or did you use a texturing tool. Really does look great and no wonder you won grand and best in show.

Thanks again. The texture was done with a Sorby texturing tool. I actually experimented with it and went 45 deg to the right then 45 deg to the left. It really left a carved sort of look.

Roger this was actually 2 halves. I have did a few of these after watching Brian McEvoys DVD. I was surprised that they sold really well. I sold six and have taken 4 more down to the gallery.
    Bernie

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Congrats on taking first prize! I love the textured band.

Real nice bowl. I thought of UFOs when I saw it. That is great looking poplar, it complements the walnut, or vice versa.
    Fred

Congratulations on the awards. The wood combination looks great, and the texturing really sets it off.

Nice looking piece. The texturing does set it off nicely.

Congratulations on the award. Texturing adds a lot to this one.

Thanks again. The texturing was used because I was afraid it would just be plain. If I didn't do that I may have dyed it. Anyway glad I experimented.
    Bernie

Bernie - Congrats on the Grand Prize - that is quite an accomplishment! Very nice work! Glad to hear your wife has it on display! That alone has to make you feel good! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Raised in the US (elementary in Lawrence, graduated in Boulder). Now in Israel.
    Impressive work Bernie. Well done!