Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What *good* old power tools are worth buying?

What *good* old power tools are worth buying?

I'm at the seedling stage of woodworking, and I'd like to build a workshop in my two car garage. Since I'm young and broke, I'd like to maximize my investment by buying good tools that won't depreciate, and will perform well for a long time.

What *good* old (power) tools are worth buying?

I've heard about Oliver band saws, Walker-turner drill presses, and some of the old delta band saws. Anything else worth looking into?

ps. I'm a dentist that likes building acoustic guitars in the Martin tradition.
    I hope to get into building cabinetry like my senior dentist mentor.

General comes to mind, made in Canada.

Original Saw Company

Pistorius (Made in New York)

Wadkin/Wadkin Bursgreen

Regards, Rod.

You're question is entirely too broad. Although this forum has a crappy search engine, master it and search through threads advising startup shops. Any of the tools suggested numerous times are probably good bets, and ANY tool bought used at a decent price will not loose any of it's residual value if purchased smartly.

Focusing on name brands is a bit silly at this point IMO, and you should be focusing on the outlines of the arsenal in terms of tool type and size and power and than look for deals appropriately from there.

Julian

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Tracy View Post
    You're question is entirely too broad. Although this forum has a crappy search engine, master it and search through threads advising startup shops. Any of the tools suggested numerous times are probably good bets, and ANY tool bought used at a decent price will not loose any of it's residual value if purchased smartly.

Focusing on name brands is a bit silly at this point IMO, and you should be focusing on the outlines of the arsenal in terms of tool type and size and power and than look for deals appropriately from there.

Julian
    I dunno. 14 posts in 3-4 years and you use one to suggest someone should search before asking a question. I like the question. And I will not search to answer it.

The Old Iron Dewalt Radial Arm Saws. I'm still looking for one to rebuild.

Mike

IMO any of the brands that have been around since your grand father was around are worth considering. I built my shop with mostly second and third hand stationary tools. Dewalt/AMF radial arm saw for $175, Delta wood/metal bandsaw for free, Delta Unisaw for free, Delta HomeCraft lathe for $125, Inca jointer/planer (my highest priced item) for $950, Foley-Belsaw planer/molder for $250. You get the idea. You can find great old used tools if you keep your eyes open and are patient. I see no reason to buy new stationary machines if you are at all mechanically inclined. My 2 cents.

I agree in general the question is rather broad.

Walker-Turner, Delta and Powermatic are three of the good old light duty machine companies, Delta and PM live on in Asian import guise, not to say that some of their new stuff isn't good nor great.

Oliver, Northfield and Yates are just three of a LONG list of serious heavy duty machine manufacturers. Much if not most of their stuff is heavier and larger than most beginning hobbyists are going to need or desire.

The more interest you have in old "arn" the more you need to learn about 3 phase motors and the ways to run them in a home shop.

You may want to check out the Old Woodworking Machines site and forum.

The best thing to do is scour the sources for machines and educate yourself on what is available in your area and ask more specific questions. Old machines can be a quality and economic windfall compared to buying new OR they can be a nightmare of wornout, beaten up junk that will cost more to fix than any sane human would spend on them.

This is a great time for buying old machines big industrial areas in the economic downturn are dumping lots of machines. The furniture "capital" of NC is a honey pot of old woodworking machines right now.

PS just remember condition of these machines mean FAR more than the nameplate in the vast majority of situations.

I am partial to Delta, but I do appreciate all the older machines. I do know that if you find an old Delta, make sure it is a pre-Rockwell model, or at least no later than mid 60's. Rockwell did not keep up with the quality past then when they owned Delta. It wasn't until Delta was able to get out on their own that they built the quality back up. This is from a retired Delta rep. The old Homecraft line of tools are very well built although they might require rebuilding or at least cleaning and alignment.
    work with wood - not against it

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I see no reason to buy new stationary machines if you are at all mechanically inclined.
    i would agree with that, but add one caveat. it's extremely possible to start rehabbing a tool and the parts needed to make it usable could eclipse the price of a better tool that doesn't need quite as much help.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike O'Melia View Post
    I dunno. 14 posts in 3-4 years and you use one to suggest someone should search before asking a question. I like the question. And I will not search to answer it.

Mike
    Exactly what is the threshold for suggesting that someone use a search? 10 posts, 50 posts, 200 posts? If you aren't part of the answer, then you are part of the problem

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Exactly what is the threshold for suggesting that someone use a search? 10 posts, 50 posts, 200 posts? If you aren't part of the answer, then you are part of the problem
    Exactly my point.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike OMelia; 01-27-2011 at 12:48 AM.

I started out young and broke 25 years ago. I bought a used Unisaw with a bunch of clamps, and a good rockwell router for $700. If you are patient you can find an old but solid Unisaw or PM66 table saw and I'd make that the cornerstone of your new shop. I also bought a 1950s 6" Sears Craftsman jointer for $50 and a 1950s Sears Craftsman 1HP 1/2" spindle shaper for $75. I built a ton of built ins, tables, a desk, and other things with that first set of tools. I later added a planer which made a huge improvement in the quality of my work.

I'd prioritize the budget for a Uni or PM66. Don't worry too much about the cosmetics, so what if the top is stained and scratched. And old but solid Uni with bad paint and a rough top will be worth the same or more down the road, so if some day you want to upgrade you will make money. 6" jointers are pretty abundant on Craig's list as lots of folks step up from a 6" to an 8" or larger. Start with 6" and you can get a workable machine for $100. Then you need a router. Don't drop lots of cash on fancy router table setup with fancy fence and lift. Build an outfeed table for the saw and mount a router underneath. I made a simple fence that I just clamp to the top with C-clamps. For fine adjust I loosen on clamp a little and bump until it's where I need it. Total cost, some scraps and a little time.

Enjoy.

BTW, 25 years later and I'm basically on my 3rd set of tools. Buy smart and you will make money with each upgrade. Buy new and you will likley lose money.

If you are looking at "Old Tools" you need to get over to OWWM.org and just read the posts and get familar with the different types of machines and brands. This way when you search the "classified, aka Clist" you will be able to separate the junk from the good stuff.

Look for tools at will be there when you skills develop. Example, you will find plently of Craftsman Contractors saws out there but as you skills develop and you are making more intricate projects a cabinet saw will make your job easier.

I have a Walker Turner Cabinet saw and a Craftsman Contractors that I use with a dado head and the difference between the saws is night and day. The WT is 100x more saw and makes everything more accurate and easier.

"I started out young and broke 25 years ago." Oh yeah. I started out young and broke too. Now I'm just old and broke. That's what happens when you buy new and shiny. Welcome to the world of wood. Best of luck to you.

Matt,

Just for inspiration (or for when we die and go to heaven), check out this shop.

http://www.hesswoodwork.com/machinery.html

More realistically, at least for now, the suggestions to look for used but not abused models of known reliable brands such as Powermatic and Unisaw (Delta/Rockwell) can start you off on the right foot. I disagree with Julian in the sense that there are better and worse brands of woodworking equipment (i.e. I wouldn't buy Craftsman if I could find and afford Powermatic), also noting that a good table saw manufacturer might not necessarily make the best jointer (or whatever) for your needs.

You want old tools? Go to www.owwm.org for the best info on the internet.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night