Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need recommendations for a mask/respirator

Thanks everyone who chimed in. I picked up a 3M this evening and things are now great, no more nose-dust-bunnies for me.

I also have the AO Safety mask. Got it at Amazon with some extra filters. I think it is marketed for woodworkers and it works well for me. Thanks to Todd for the link to "The Wood Wisperer" show on safety. I for one have taken a step back this week, rethinking some safety issues.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    I am about ready to take the plunge and get an expensive PAPR (my lungs are down to 50% and I cannot afford to lose the rest faster than necessary but don't won't to give up woodworking). I have seen several comments on the 3M Breathe Easy, but does any one have opinions of the 3M GVP system with the 501 headpiece? Thanks.

James, the GVP's are nice setups. I've played with them a bit and you'll be happy with it. I personally use two different models, a 3m Breathe Easy 1 System and a 3M Clear Visor Adflo. The Clear Visor Adflo is my favorite.
    chris

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    Chris: Do you know if it is possible to wear hearing protection with the GVP? It is hard to tell from the stock 3M photos whether there is room for thin ear muffs with the bumpcap. I would like something more than simple earplugs as I have also installed a big Oneida DC which is pretty noisy when added to another machine.

My understanding is that these systems (GVP, Breathe Easy, and I guess the Adflo) do not need a tight fitting face seal to protect the user. I have full beard on the side of my face, but neck is shaved.
    James.