Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying Rib Vase

Flying Rib Vase

7 x 6 She Oak / Wenge

This is a technique I have been playing with, and I feel this my best execution of it so far. There are some technical challenges in clamping and alignment that I feel I am overcoming.

Rather then classical staves, I first turn the body then deconstruct it, add the ribs and reconstruct it. I prefer this method as it allows the grain from the wood of the body to follow through the ribs.

My goal here was to have the two shapes create a nice contrast, yet each retain it's own individual form.

c&c's welcome
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

John - very interesting design and you did a great job on lining everything up! I can see where you have to make sure the outside of the form is finished as far as form and sanding before the deconstruct phase but was wondering if you do any clean-up turning on the inside once everything is glued back together?
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

John that is really cool. I like the vessels that you have done in this style. This one is really neat because of the fact that you can clearly see the form inside of the fins. Just great.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

John,

That is a great piece. I love the concept and the execution.

Very well done!!

Alan

Great job, John! Excellent contrast and color and the effect of "two forms" is unique!

This is a very interesting technique!! I would think a slow set glue would be a priority, and special clamping jigs a must!! Great work, and I had the same question as Steve regarding inside "return" for clean up - the inside diameter would have changed ever so slightly so it seems that cleanup would be necessary. And, how did you rechuck if this was done? I suppose the tenon, if used, would still work with a little less than complete jaw contact.

That's quite a beautiful and unique piece. I like that and I like how you did it...hmmm...got me thinking again. Thanks for sharing this.

Very nice contrast and a very unique form. I can certainly see that gluing this up presents a challenge, to say the least. Nice work, John.

The "HowDeDoDat" factor is pretty large there.... That's a pretty cool form/object. Tell us more!

How did you fixture the form to make the cuts during deconstruction?
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Very cool John. Not sure I want to tackle it, but sure like looking at it!

Great execution and wood combination John. That must have been a challange!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

The creativity and skill level I see gets more impressive every day. I am no artist, so I dont know the vernacular, but that is a fantastic piece!

Ok. We need a little corn here. Do you take a lot of ribbing? Hoot!

I too would like to know "howd-he-do-dat".. Six segments? No re-chucking needed? Glue up with rubber bands or strap?

Lot's of questions!

BTW.... Great job! Got my brain in the wonderment zone. Thanks for posting!

Now that is cool. Really a great job on it. Inquiring minds want to know.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nicely done. I like the light/dark wood combo, and the process needed is intriguing.

Thanks for the comments.

Yes, I do clean up the inside after assembly. Figuring out how to keep the strength in the tenon to re-chuck it was another one of the challenges ( I did break one, well two actually). Removing the tenon is also very delicate...and scary !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.