Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Recommendation for a socket set

Funny thing about Craftsman, around here, everything on Craigslist is Craftsman EXCEPT socket wrenches. I love this thread as I had no idea that some wrenches had more clicks then others and the whole thing about socket points. That's something I'll keep a lookout for when I go buy a set. As for breaking wrenches and sockets, I've probably broken more of my own teeth then tools.

Craftman for the woodworker. I wrenched for many years and think they are garbage in that application, but fine for your needs as you aren't going to run into siezed fasteners often . Do love my 80 tooth high end ratchets for cramped quarters, but they are overkill for you.

If I were going to be buying socket sets again, I would go with the Craftsman High-Visibility sets--the sizes are laser-engraved on the sides in a high-contrast, large format. Very easy to read, even in low light. I've done plenty of my own wrenching on vehicles over the years, and they've been fine, but I have seen some limitations. I wouldn't want to use them if my livelihood depended on them. That said, I have, in a pinch, used regular sockets with an impact wrench when I didn't have the appropriately-sized impact socket. They can be stretched or split, but I've also seen some hold up when I didn't think they would.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore